BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess me and "Itchy Foot" weren't really on the Bay. We were north of Ship John, seeking some striper action. The wind was supposed to be on the light side but in my guesstimation, it must have been in the 12 to 20 MPH range. Water temperature was 54 to 56 degrees. Just about ideal, in my opinion. We fished in 26 to 31 feet of water. The bunker we used was not primo but very good. Got our lines in the water just about on the "dot" of 7 AM. It wasn't ten minutes later, I heard my bait-runner starting to scream. Picked up the rod and it slowed down to a near stop then took off again. Turned the crank, hooked up and the fight began. Netted a 37 incher and into the cooler it went. It was getting close to 8 AM, my buddy's Penn International was getting a fast spool spin. The hook was set and it was pulling a bit of drag. Wasn't sure how tight it was but the rod had a good bend. Got the fish to the net and striper No. 2 hit the deck...a fat 42 incher. Wow! It wasn't much after 8 AM and we already had two in the cooler. As time wore on, our optimism waned. It was a little after 2 PM when we decide to call it quits. Those two stripers, we boxed so soon, were all we had.

The water was extremely dirty and weeds, logs and debris were thick. Scuttle-butt, in general has it that the striper action is still up north. Perhaps if the water temperature goes up a bit and water cleans up, the bite will move south. That's my guess. We'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Two is a pretty good day. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
thanks for the report. I am going around ship john sat morning...based on how hot the bite was on the river up untill a few days after easter...and how bad it was last weekend....I figure the fish must be heading south...

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Good job on a nice pair and thanks for the report.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts