BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman.

Been a great week of fishing for me. Lots and lots of bass. Got tired of sitting up in the bridge trolling all day so we mixed it up and I ran two in a row tog trips on my own boat.

This is not my specialty, as I usually spend most of my free time hunting tuna and pelagics. But....that being said, I'm getting better at the bottom fishing game. And I am now totally hooked on tog fishing.

Looking for recommendations on who can make me a top of the line custom Tog Rod with a tog image and my boat name on it. Also any recommendations for a good reel. Currently using an Ugly Stick Tiger Lite and a Penn Squall 15. It's ok for fish up to 5 pounds but I don't think it's quite enough if i hook into a slob with 8 oz of weight in 80-100 ft.
Money is not really an object.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Chot55 (Chris)
34 Phoenix FB "REAPER" still for sale
18 Maycraft CC "LIL REAPER"

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should also post a report too.

On Monday we started of in 70 ft and had a steady pick of shorts with a few keepers. this seemed to die so sprinted north to similar depth on a not well known wreck. Just shorts here.
Pushed a bit deeper to 80ft to end the day. Took a while at this piece but they got going and we had a decent pick of mostly keepers.
Ended the day with 15 keepers amongst 3 people and lots of shorts

Tuesday we fished the same piece in 80 ft in the am but it was dead. Moved into a big piece in 70 ft and had mostly shorts but a few keepers. Pushed off to 80ft again and just like the day before they turned on. We ended up with 10 keepers for the same group of 3.

It is quite humbling trying to anchor a 34 ft boat right over a 60-90 ft long wreck. I am enamored by the charter guys who do it perfect each and every time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gentleman.

Been a great week of fishing for me. Lots and lots of bass. Got tired of sitting up in the bridge trolling all day so we mixed it up and I ran two in a row tog trips on my own boat.

This is not my specialty, as I usually spend most of my free time hunting tuna and pelagics. But....that being said, I'm getting better at the bottom fishing game. And I am now totally hooked on tog fishing.

Looking for recommendations on who can make me a top of the line custom Tog Rod with a tog image and my boat name on it. Also any recommendations for a good reel. Currently using an Ugly Stick Tiger Lite and a Penn Squall 15. It's ok for fish up to 5 pounds but I don't think it's quite enough if i hook into a slob with 8 oz of weight in 80-100 ft.
Money is not really an object.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Chot55 (Chris)
34 Phoenix FB "REAPER" still for sale
18 Maycraft CC "LIL REAPER"

Hey Chris, that was a fun two days!

My buddy Paul just had USA theme rod done by Billy Vivona, he designed these blanks for tog. Is an incredible builder!
The one person recommended Paul. He owns JPR custom Rods and I believe he built all of 'Oh Wells' rods from what I remember. http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/members/3154-paul708.html

I've seen Kevin Bogan's work too, top notch!

All of these guys are incredible.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
I use 3 different setups

Inshore(less than 50 feet) and jigging use my flounder bucktailing outfit-diawa lexa/trevala s

Out deeper a bogan fish poision with a diawa saltist narrow spool stardrag

Favorite is a Jigging world black demon acid wrapped 7'6" with a shimano tekota 500 levelwind

One I havent pulled the trigger on is a honey lam-had an olderone that my BIL got me that was sweet but he git a boat so I regifted it back to him:nuts:. After I had it rewrapped

Paul has some nice honey lams setups if going custom and he can match reel to your liking

I prefer star drag reels but have seen avets ocea jiggers newels(star) used as well.

I use the black demon up to 12oz lead and Fish Poison as my backup and with heavier lead

I would suggest checking out ie trying what other people use to get the feel of the outfit-I got the FP first and enjoyed it but after trying adambomb Black demon decided to get that as well.

If your close ny and Im not togging your welcome to try my outfits.Have had multiple 15lb fish on black demon and up to 12 on the Fish Poison

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
JPR rods just started offering rod geeks tog series, 4 models, they offer a UC blank in the mega tog series, also black hole in 7 and 8 foot
Lots of great choices. To match budgets from 235$

Combos also..
Names to match your boats font,
Any thing you want...
Facebook JPR rods

Attachments

·
Registered
17,474 Posts
I have a Bogan Fish Poision rod matched with an Avet. JZ let me check out his FP at his house and he hooked it up to a 5 gallon bucket that weighed a ton. The rod bent like no tomorrow but easily lifted the bucket. I bought the rod soon after that demo. That was enough to sell me on the strength of the blank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.