BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this true waht i have been hearing??
is the tog season closed and if so how long??
can we still fish for them and throw em back??
gunna be a hrd spring if i cant tog:mad:

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It is closed.....for now. It will probablty be settled shortly and the back open again with a different set of limits and dates. I believe there is a closed season from May to July. Then 1 fish til like Jan. Then 4 fish from January to May.....something like that is the proposal.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Maybe I mis-understood, but, I thought the closure wasn't to go into effect until April 1.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
reel_smooth said:
Maybe I mis-understood, but, I thought the closure wasn't to go into effect until April 1.
Sorry, I stand corrected. As of April 1st it will be closed. I guess I just took that as a given. I shouldn't do that. I meant to saying will be closed

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Through March, the season is open, 4 fish per person. As of this posting, the state is working to finalize a change to the regs that would keep the season open at 4 fish per person through the end of april. It is possible that the season could close on 4/1, but all involved are highly optimistic at this point that that is not likely.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Though the bag limit remains at four through April, the spring blackfish season will be wiped out. There will be no recreational blackfishing from May 1 to July 15. The one-fish limit will be continued from July 16 to Nov. 15, primarily as an accommodation to divers. Most of the bag limit is saved for the prime fall season, though it will be reduced from eight to six from Nov. 15 to Dec. 31. The minimum size remains at 14 inches.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
BigSexy said:
Though the bag limit remains at four through April, the spring blackfish season will be wiped out. There will be no recreational blackfishing from May 1 to July 15. The one-fish limit will be continued from July 16 to Nov. 15, primarily as an accommodation to divers. Most of the bag limit is saved for the prime fall season, though it will be reduced from eight to six from Nov. 15 to Dec. 31. The minimum size remains at 14 inches.
What you stated in this post is the only thing that i read that seemed official-although an official speculation-other than the closure datethe rest of the statement was just speculation. What I read in addittion to this statement was that ANY definitive changes/propposals are still being worked on and the once an agreement is made - It will take a couple months to implement it-time frame would be mid-to end of summer to enact.So -whatever they come up - the tog season WILL shut down on April 1 - until the new regs are definitive and finalized. What are the 4-6-8 Part Boats that depend on Spring Tog going to do? The only viable offering for these guys(like the Porgy 4) would be STRIPER fishing i guess until the sea bass are close enough and the fluke season opens--bothi May. Looks like a bleak month of April for many a captain this year!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
What I read in addittion to this statement was that ANY definitive changes/propposals are still being worked on and the once an agreement is made - It will take a couple months to implement it-time frame would be mid-to end of summer to enact.
The Federal law says that once a state comes into compliance, the ASMFC must "promptly" notify the Secretary of Commerce and the mortorium will be lifted. Why should this take a couple of months?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Council thrashes out a blackfish reduction plan

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Though a federal moratorium on blackfishing in New Jersey is scheduled to become effective on April 1, the changes in regulations proposed by the Marine Fisheries Council should prevent that from occurring.

The council has scheduled an emergency meeting for 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Nacote Creek Enforcement Office in Port Republic. Public notice was required in order to hold that meeting, but there's really no need for the public to attend. The council's committee thrashed out the cuts required in order to come up with the 25.6 percent reduction required by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Tautog Management Plan, while holding back on implementation in hopes that the ASMFC would accept the reductions already achieved under present regulations. Since the state was voted out of compliance, there is no choice but to quickly enact the new proposals.

There are also a number of changes in the commercial seasons. Most importantly, it will be closed from April 15 to June 4, when potters trap great numbers of blackfish full of eggs about to be spawned.

Fluke fishermen worried about how they will be able to find 18-inch keepers this summer will have to do so in New Jersey waters.

New York anglers are faced with even greater restrictions, and their Marine Advisory Council recently voted to recommend an option calling for a 20 1/2-inch minimum with four fish from May 15 to Sept. 1. That recommendation hasn't been made official as yet, but will probably be enacted as there was only one vote against it. Of course, New Jersey fishermen working Ambrose Channel or the New York portions of Raritan Reach will have to observe those regulations and be sure not to transport any smaller fluke caught on the N.J. side through those waters.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/ristori/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1205646111105450.xml&coll=1

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies guys
somethings tells me 2008 is gunna be a hard year to fish:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
22,866 Posts
seabear said:
The Federal law says that once a state comes into compliance, the ASMFC must "promptly" notify the Secretary of Commerce and the mortorium will be lifted. Why should this take a couple of months?
ASMFC will be meeting the week of 5/5:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts