BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out for the first trip of 2008. headed into GE inlet to find that the Cut by the rock pile is no longer available. Breakers across the entire way! The main channel was not much better. Right before the Bell, the markers are in breaking water. What a mess!. headed out to our wrecks and had a great day on Tog!. kept 4 for the table and released easily 6 more. Probably would have more in i wasn't so inept!. Great first trip.! I hear there are plans to dredge the inlet in May. Hope this will help the channel. Sucks about the cut! Till next weekend. Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Say it ain't so! That shortcut was a life saver on some days. I mean our boat can handle the inlet, but its so much nicer to just slide in the side and cruise right in with barely a ripple. I would come all the way up and take that north jetty shortcut even if I was coming from the south sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i plan to check it out at high water on a calm day and see what kind if depth there is. i wouldnt just blast thru it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
Why???

I never understood why anyone ever went that way??? Why would you ever run an inlet the incorrect way? You might save 5 minutes time going that way instead of running the markers.

We tried to come through that way 2 seasons ago (even though I disagreed with the Captain) on our way in from the Wilmington and turned around after the 30 foot Grady in front of us disappeared between a monster set of almost breakers and all we could see was the tips of his riggers. Went the way we should have went and it was smooth sailing all the way to the ICW :rolleyes: . Imagine if you lose power over there and have to get on the hook quick. Doesn't really give you enough time running over by the "rock pile." Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,561 Posts
MAKO19 said:
I never understood why anyone ever went that way??? Why would you ever run an inlet the incorrect way? You might save 5 minutes time going that way instead of running the markers.

We tried to come through that way 2 seasons ago (even though I disagreed with the Captain) on our way in from the Wilmington and turned around after the 30 foot Grady in front of us disappeared between a monster set of almost breakers and all we could see was the tips of his riggers. Went the way we should have went and it was smooth sailing all the way to the ICW :rolleyes: . Imagine if you lose power over there and have to get on the hook quick. Doesn't really give you enough time running over by the "rock pile." Just my 2 cents.
Because if you know what you are doing you can save time and running... and during times when the inlet is rough it is easier to deal with 30 seconds of whitewater than 2 miles of it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Rockpile is only way to go. Why would you fight the bouys and breakers for almost 2 miles when you can just turn the corner? I hope it is still there for us this year. Last year was through there with boats upto 44 feet and had no problem let alone had to deal with white water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
aj bruno said:
Because if you know what you are doing
Ouch! Like I said what are you gonna save 5 minutes? When we got back over to the markers it was nicer than over by the rock pile. Maybe that's just not the spot to go when its rough out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,865 Posts
MAKO19 said:
Ouch! Like I said what are you gonna save 5 minutes? When we got back over to the markers it was nicer than over by the rock pile. Maybe that's just not the spot to go when its rough out.
Honestly you probably save 15 minutes taking that route, especially if you are heading north. Plus its usually far calmer using the rocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
You should be selective on what the conditions are when running the rock pile. Depending on the tide, wind and swell the rock pile is alot calmer and quicker to get through the inlet. We have been running the rock pile for years and never had a problem. You can deffinately see the channel out when it is choppy. Also good fishing along the bar there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have always used the cut by the rock pile for the last 15 years! This is the first time i couldnt get through. The only time i woulld run the main channel was if we were heading south OR if at night. The main channel right now is not much better. I had breakers from the B bouy and ran with them for the next 3 markers. Yes the tide was running out and yes i have a 29ft boat, but i would have rather run through the cut for 2 moinutes than for the length of the channel. Hope the dredging makes the channel better but i dont think they will dredge the cut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
MAKO19 said:
Ouch! Like I said what are you gonna save 5 minutes? When we got back over to the markers it was nicer than over by the rock pile. Maybe that's just not the spot to go when its rough out.
You obviously don't use GE very much, because all the locals know that the rockpile was the best way to get out front. The channel is the worst especially when the tide is going out and the wind is cranking from the S or SW. I've seen more boats get in trouble in the channel than in front of the rocks. If i were running east, I'd cut in front of the LP rocks. Going south, i'd cut over the south bar in a deeper section, and ride down the beach in OC. Anything to stay out of the actual channel. On a weekend, forget about it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,554 Posts
The ony time that I run the marked inlet in the GE is if I am heading south. Even then I cut over just past the 5 buoy and go south. The rocks are the way to go in my opinion and have been for the 45 years I have been running GE Inlet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
WreckinBall said:
You obviously don't use GE very much, because all the locals know that the rockpile was the best way to get out front. The channel is the worst especially when the tide is going out and the wind is cranking from the S or SW. I've seen more boats get in trouble in the channel than in front of the rocks. If i were running east, I'd cut in front of the LP rocks. Going south, i'd cut over the south bar in a deeper section, and ride down the beach in OC. Anything to stay out of the actual channel. On a weekend, forget about it...
What he said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Took a 08 54 thru the cut at about - 28 knots mid to low tide two weeks ago, no sweat. Took my 43 today near low and had 4 feet under my wheels....kind of fun dodging the tugs out there today. The rock pile is the only way to go north or south. I'm fairly certain the last red can, in the marked inlet is off station, so much so I called the CG. They said they would look into it.

Do what you feel comfortable with but the rock pile is the only way I go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Glad to hear its still open... That channel and inlet sucks. I only use that channel once a year and thats when I bring the boat to capemay....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
We run primarily out of Cape May but a good friend of ours has a boat in Margate and we fish with him frequently. Everytime I have been through there nothing looked really nice but all I seen over by the "rock pile" was white water. You have to think if that is the way to go then why isn't it marked and that the primary way through??? :confused:

I could care less what you guys do. I guess I should have double checked what website I was posting on though before I posted my comments. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
The white water you see on that side is usually the north bar. In between the jetty tips and the north bar there is, or was, a decent cut there that you could get almost any boat through unless it was a blowout tide. Even the local party boats used that side of the inlet frequently. Believe it or not, that 10' cut was safer to use than the 40+ foot deep channel in a swell, especially if it was from the south. I've seen some huge steep 12-15'+ swells in the channel during a big hurricane ground swell. The channel can be deceiving on a big swell with an incoming tide because it will still be makeable due to the depth. However, as soon as the tide starts ripping out, the seas get stacked up into steep, standing waves in the marked channel. GE Inlet is one of the most dangerous inlets on the NJ coast. Right up there with Barnegat and LEI.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
I WENT THAT WAY AT 8:00 A.M. YESTERDAY ON THE NORTH STAR , IT HAD BEAKERS ALL WAY ACROSS. WE GOT HIT BY A WAVE SO HARD MY BUDDY GARY WAS KNOCKED OUT OF HIS BUNK ! CAPT. PAUL BARRUS,JR SAID THE WAVE WAS HIGHER THAN THE WHEEL HOUSE, THAT'S 23-25 FEET HIGH,HE SAID IN ALL HIS DAYS HE HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT.:eek:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top