BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do the tog start returning to the jetties and bulkheads?I know you can get em offshore now,but I started the jetty thing last fall and can't wait for some more jetty action.Thanks in advance!

[ 02-08-2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Creek Duck ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Creek Duck,,
Tautog Migrate Seasonally Inshore-offshore every
year.. I believe their trigger point is the
50 degree mark....
They also spawn inshore say from late April
thru the Peak in June in 60 degeee water...
Watch The Water Temps.....
And I would say April/May is the time to check
you spots again where you had success last year.

Good Luck, And Don't Forget To Let Us Know
How You Make Out On Your Tog Trips..

Thanks,,,,

·
Registered
785 Posts
Are we saying 50 on the surface or 50 on the bottom?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
an "old salt" once told me that when you see the first yellow dandelions on your lawn, then the Tog are on their inshore spots....it has never let me down...give it a try.... :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Summmer:
I think when tog come in they don't leave, but the problem is babby seabass eat up my baits. Now I've cought 2-8#tog and one 22in. seabass on wreck in 55ft water in summer with live 4in. peanut bunker. So go figure tog eat live bait?
I've also heard of divers in summer spearing 12# tog in 60ft wrecks

Winter:
When 40deg or less tog go "tupor"- hybernation- divers grab them up like plates, fish are not swimming, but in muddy hole in wrecks

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
When I went in Dec one time the Surface temp was 41.5...and we did decent...Adam is the guy the ask, since he fished them had this past Dec. and Jan!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bottom temp is warmer then the surface in Dec, the opposite is true in the spring. I think it will be 2nd week in April inshore this year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's been awhile since I visited here but I just saw this topic and thought I would share this .

Website Edited, Thx NS

[ 02-16-2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got your email Nightstrikes . ;)

I was posting a link to my friends fish report for 2-13-05 . They fished out of Indian River Inlet De. on the Karen Sue . They had their limit of Tog 60 fish for 6 anglers including 6 citations . My friend had a personal best 12.6 lb tog . This was in less than 6 hours in 80 ft of water 5 miles out .Best bait blue crabs dredged from Del Bay .

Just wanted to let ya know they are still here .

:D

Steve

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks Steve,,,,,

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Water temperature on the bottom is crucial to where tog will be and if they will feed! As was stated earlier, in the winter tme when things are cooling off, the bottom temperature is warmer as the surface is always first to lose its heat. In the spring, you have the reverse effect. The surface is warming faster, so the bottom will stay cooler longer. Usually, by April they are feeding pretty well on the inshore hangs. You can catch them there typically through the summer. We had fish to 13.5lbs. on some inshore structure in July. Once the water temperatures start getting really chilly in December and January, the fish will start filtering offshore to deeper water. A lot of the bigger fish remain on the same wrecks all the time, as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts