BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to drop my membership in JCAA until they get rid of Tom Fote. It would appear to me that we are in the striper mess because of his EGO and he isn't listening to the average fisherman as RFA seems to be.
If he continues to put pressure on Senate to change the bill passed by the HOUSE I will leave after supporting for several years.
I'm fed up with Big EGO's of those looking out for recreational fisherman AND ineffective politicians
You can bet the farm if there was a way for them to collect more taxes thru this bill they would be called back into Special session

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I have to agree with Willie on this one. Fote thinks his limit size was right for all people,but in reality,was his own size limit :mad: His stupidity and loud mouthing has put the striper season in jepordity this year. :mad: I would like to know how many fishing clubs he polled for his size limits? :rolleyes: Or did Fote say,this is what if feel is best,will you back me on it? :rolleyes: I have seen and heard him in person,don't really care for him,etc.,that is just my opinion. He is one of the reason I didn't join the JCAA ,even though many of my friends are members. As for getting them to get the bill moving and voted on,if any money for the state was involved,(which is with the charters,marinas,tackle shop,hotels etc.)they would get off there A##ES and have a special session. :mad:

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spooled--the cigar was a good one.thanks again

I think I owe you a couple,I leave a couple of Hemmingways at Rodmakers

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Bigg right on Buck the Charter Party Boat Assoc. is also not sending in their membership $$$$ from what I heard also. Pretty bad when the groups who rely on the sport stop supporting your group who is suppose to be for the sport. :mad: :rolleyes: Needs to get the sh!t out of his ears and listen a little.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Agree with you 100 percent Bucktail. At one time he did alot for the recreational fishery, but lately it is a different story. Believe you are right on with the EGO thing. He's got to start listening instead of dictating.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
FOTE--THINKS HE'S BIGGER THAN EVERYBODY BUT HIS BOSS.AMEN RAY.THE WOLF WILL KICK HIS AS$.BRIAN DON'T LET HIM SLEEP AT THE HOLIDAY INN.

[ 08-31-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Ya ready for this bomb shell ?????? I figured out the answer today. It makes perfect sense I think we will all agree.
This whole issue is not about the fish it can't be, If it were about the fish there would be a coast wide Moratorium right. We keep hinting on the fact that it must be ego and greed. Humm is it ego ? I must say that it is to a degree, The one problem is that ya can't spend ego.
That moves us on to GREED !!!!!!! JCAA and RFA fought like dogs to achieve GAME FISH Status (right) the money was pouring in. All time financial highs for both of these groups.(right) They rode that wave for all that it was worth , Then the ride started to dip (oh sh-t).
Hummm ????????? We need to keep the funds rollin in , What can we do to stay saints in the publics eyes ?????????????????
Lets pick a small but very winnable fight with the bunker reduction fleet. Those guys won't fight very hard there only here in NJ for a few weeks. Plus we'll make a deal with them (kick back). I was at the state meeting when all of that unfolded. Now thinking back I can see the big picture. Both the RFA and the JACC were again hero's. (right)
That bring us up to date : Now if ya look, the funding and interest has dipped severally for both groups, They have fallin out of the publics eyes. They need to be hero's again they need media attention again they need the funds again. (oh its true)
The only piece of the puzzle that I don't get is the tiff between JIMMY D and T Fota. Is that a show or is ego gettin involved ????????
Now this is how this Moratorium is gonna play out !!! (watch I'll bet the farm on it)
The bass is gonna close for a few weeks in Sept NO big deal. (the fish ain't here yet) During that time period Basically now your gonna see TF and JD in the paper screaming look we're fighting for ya. "support us" Now right at the "12 Hour" the last week of Sept when Mr Bass start heading south a miracle happens. Sweet mother of Jesus, the JCAA and the RFA have fought to get the bass open again. Hip Hip Hooray they are our hero's. Send your donations to us we fought hard for you.
Now in the mist of all of what I just said there is politician saying hold on we need Votes that equals money. TF and JD what can we do (kick back). I have changed my platform ; by all means continue to enjoy your hobbies Just please think twice before ya spend your money You are gettin coned.
Now for the legal end of this post, The ASMFC says TWO fish per angler. NJ found a loop hold with the bonus program.(greed)Instead of letting those fish swim to insure healthy stocks.(which we're all try so hard to achieve)Two fish wasn't enough so they NJ used the comm quota to make the bonus program. (Fact)
Thus for the last several years NJ has been out of Compliance according to the ASMFC's requirements of TWO fish. (FACT) So who has kept this under wraps till now ?????? HUMMMMMMM ?????????? Who has that Power/Position. I would doubt that the Governor of NJ ASMFC appointee would do such a thing. (BTW who is that) Ya don't say TOM FOTA Mr.JCAA himself. (call me whatever you want)but there it is in a nut shell. Isn't it funny the thing ya think about when your standing there winding nets on at 4:30 in the morning.
The biggest question I have now is do I send this to the Department of Commerce or to the Department of Interior ?????

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
This is just one of those interesting thoughts I found while reading the laws and regs looking for that open window.

Would somebody out there please tell me if this is legal ?

Why does ASMFC even bother to print regulations when they continue to allow NJ to bypass them and flaunt the fact that they do?

The regulations specifically arecopied directly from FMP no 41;Amendment 6, Feb 2003)

4.2.1 Bag Limits
For all jurisdictions, recreational fisheries will be constrained by a two fish creel limit and 28 inches minimum size limit, except for the striped bass recreational fisheries in the Chesapeake Bay and the Albemarle Sound/Roanoke River.
5.1.1.1 Regulatory Requirements
The following lists the specific compliance criteria that a state/jurisdiction must implement in order to be in compliance with Amendment 6 to the Atlantic Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan:

1. All jurisdictions will implement a bag limit for the recreational fishery that restricts individuals to a 2 fish creel limit and a 28-inch minimum size, except for the Chesapeake Bay and the Albemarle Sound/Roanoke River.

Taken from NJFGW web site;

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bonusbas.htm
The Striped Bass Bonus Program
Known as the Striped Bass Trophy Program prior to 1997, this program allows participating individuals
and anglers on participating party boats to retain one (1) additional striped bass beyond the normal
daily possession limit of two (2) from New Jerseys marine waters.

Notice that on the application(available at the site), there is no place to indicate that you are on (or own) a participating party boat. And on the log sheet (also available at the site) non party boat entries are expected. It is therefore a "recreational" fishery with red tape attached.
from web site: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2000/stbaschg.htm

Also note that fishermen may possess one additional striped bass per day under the Striped Bass
Bonus Fish Program ........
How much clearer can it be. In NJ, recreational fishermen are permitted 3 fish per day. Two fish are recreational fish, and the third isn't ??? (it's a commercial fish that can only be caught recreationally, and can't be sold {commercial}) If it walks like a duck; sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck, it ain't an eagle no matter what you call it! -------Get a grip, even NJ calls it an "additional" fish in a document describing the recreational limits on striped bass in the state. If this isn't a violation of amendment 6 section 4.2.1 and 5.1.1.1 (1) , then nothing ever will be !
How much longer will you allow this nonsense to continue? Your regs dictate a user group allocation quota divided by state. NJ is acting like it is a state allocation quota divided by user group. There is a big difference,and your acquiesce is allowing this perversion to continue. Either re-write your regs, or do not allow NJ to do this..... your choice ! Take the NJ commercial allocation and redistripute it to other states (or the EEZ) if you must, but don't allow NJ to flaunt its violation of your regs as a reason to visit NJ where you can catch 3 fish instead of 2.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fishpicker,,I think you have half a story ,from where I sit JCAA and Tom Fote has the Greed and the EGO piece of your story.

not sure how the Greed plays out but the EGO is huge in this State for JCAA

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Hummmmm the plot thickens!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
BY AL RISTORI
Star-Ledger Staff
The Jersey Coast Anglers Association (JCAA) and the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) are at odds about the best striped bass regulations for New Jersey anglers, but the two big statewide organizations agreed last week not to let their infighting hold up legislation which will end a moratorium on striper fishing in the state -- if one is imposed a few weeks from now.

The JCAA's member clubs voted to support the coastal standard of two stripers at a minimum of 28 inches, but the RFA endorsed a proposal popular in South Jersey which retains the 24-inch to less than 28-inch slot bass while achieving conservation equivalency by making the second fish in a limit a minimum of 34 inches. South Jersey Assemblyman Robert Smith got the latter bill through the Assembly during June, but the Senate never considered the companion bill.

During a meeting at Greg Hueth's home in Sea Girt, the organizations each decided to continue advocating what their members desire, but also committed to not holding up whatever legislation is hammered out when the Senate committee meets Sept. 27 or when a vote is taken Oct. 4. The big problem with Smith's bill is the 28-inch to less than 34-inch gap in which it will be illegal to retain stripers. That will be difficult to explain to casual anglers, much less the regulars.

Those holding bonus cards from the Trophy Tag Program will still be able to retain a bass of 28 inches or more, but the state isn't issuing any more of them due to fears of going over the quota derived from our commercial allocation before becoming a striper game fish state. However, those bonus cards will be of no value if a moratorium is imposed, which could occur as early as Sept. 20. A moratorium would stop all striper fishing in the state, even targeted catch-and-release.

Rep. Jim Saxton (R-NJ) sent a letter Friday to Commerce Secretary Donald Evans, requesting him to provide the full 30 days before making a determination on this issue in order to provide more time for the state to come into compliance. Senators Corzine and Lautenberg, and Rep. Frank Pallone have done likewise, but Saxton (former chairman of the House Fisheries Subcommittee) could be the key to influencing the Republican administration.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I'm not done yet boys. I have to sleep now I got a long day of pickin tomorrow.

Now class the homework assignment is to make sure that you never took credit or supported something then down the road denied it. :confused:

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Originally posted by Fishpicker:

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
BY AL RISTORI
Star-Ledger Staff

The big problem with Smith's bill is the 28-inch to less than 34-inch gap in which it will be illegal to retain stripers. That will be difficult to explain to casual anglers, much less the regulars.

I don't buy all this "difficult to explain" stuff. They can start by explaining to me why when I reach the middle of the channel in Delaware Bay I need to memorize a different set of regs. They keep telling me, so I guess I must look stupid.

The fact is, I was leaning against a wall in Wilmington DE at the fluke meeting earlier this year ( or was it last fall?) There was a enforcement rep there talking to a ASMFC rep (no, I don't know who they were). The chief concern was with various regs regarding enforcement and the claim that many are ignorant as Mr. Ristori alludes to above. ASMFC allows for conservation equivalents!! If they don't believe they work, why don't they change them?????? If ASMFC wants it a certain way, why don't they just come out and say it, instead of enlisting the aid of various proxies who end up looking ridiculous??
Instead of getting to the truth of the matter (or at least speaking it) we end up with various conspiracy theories on the internet.

And for those who don't know, the last few years have seen a major run of huge chopper bluefish in the Delaware Bay in the fall. They like bunker chunks, and that's what I'll be fishing for.

Phil

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
you want a theory,try this one,
money talks and as long as the commercials are buying the politicos,the rec fisherman will never get a fair shake.the two groups that sre taking
heat on this thread are at least on our side.are they perfect?no,but we would be much worse off without them .the rfa is the best chance we have to turn things around in our favor and they'll be getting my backing.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Fishpicker, If youdo a little research the striped bass was given the game fish status way back when there was little pressure on the fish and the catch was down. Tom Fote was the main reason, through his lobbying and before even the JCAA was formed, this bill was passed. Right now bothe the JCAA & RFA are competing for funds but the status of the striped bass was done the same way that the Menhadden bill was done grass roots & people getting off their a** to some work.

·
Registered
31,755 Posts
Sorry Fishpicker, your "theories" are just a bit out of touch with reality.

Next time learn the history of our regs instead of inventing wild conspiracy theories. It was a funny read though.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Picker, nice to talk to you over here at the Barn. As stated above, you are just a little (oh say a few light years or so) off the mark with your above comments. Also, the article from Al does not "thicken" the plot, it is the way things have been from the start of this debacle.

The need to get up to speed on the issues has never been more apparent, don't fall into Bent's predicament of speaking from the mouth and not from a position of knowledge ;)

You're better than that, I know from experience in dealing with you. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement or reason, I know you know better. You're a straightforward guy from the little personal contact we've had and the extensive online contact, just keep to the facts, it's safer!

Capt.TB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.