BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the ferry from Lewes back to Cape May today and was standing on the third deck watching school after school of bunker. Looked mostly like 8-10" fish. What might be the best way to fish these schools. I assume that there are predators below them, blues and stripers. My first inclination would be to snag them and send em right back down. Can you fish a diamond jig, or the like, under the school? Anyone, Anyone?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Lost a Treble,
I mean Lost a Rod, I know what you mean! If I don't put them in a certain spot or my wife moves them I'll never find them! ;)

[ 09-09-2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Striper101 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
We fished the big pond Friday and had bunker pods all over. We went snagging and had a blast. Took home 24 nice sized bunker for the fall. My buddy never snagged bunker before and thought I was nuts when I pulled out a monster weighted treble. He changed his view after the first few I snagged. Boy they put up a pretty good fight.

·
Registered
817 Posts
every time I find a pod, it seems i cant snag any. I have a weighted treble hook. Are the pods I find too thin or am I doing something wrong, maybe the boat scares them down. Any suggestions?
JB

·
Registered
223 Posts
The few time we snagged them, we got ahead of them and drifted towards them. They seem to scare easily. You get a few then the pod moves. you gotta sneak up on them

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You need to use a monster sized treble. Keep your rod tip pointed low cast beyond the pod and reel fast and jig it. You will know when you got one hooked. Yesterday we worked the pods by running towards them then shutting down and drifting to them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Dont just motor right into the bait. Watch them for a couple of minutes to see which way they are moving, and figure your drift accordingly. I use about a 4 oz weighted trebel, cast over the top of pod, and crank my butt off. Almost allways snag one per cast.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
in the summer, I can cast net them...they are getting very spooky right now since every other fish swimming wants to eat them.

drift into them...the motor was definitely spooking them last week.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I don't use that much weight with the treble, I just hope that there will be some left, saw 2 bunker boats over the last few days that were almost sunk(water right up to the gunnels) coming into Cape May, with that going on, the schools won't last long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.