BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to admit I cannot stop thinking about big fluke and new ways to catch more and bigger fish.

Down in Cape May, Capt Goldfinger's new boat has "skyhook" technology that will allow us to "hover" in place to really get jiggy with the Fluke. While I also hear a rumor that the Flattie Express is moving up to Belmar to fish the rocks and Red Church areas every week!

I am just chopping at the bit for this season to get started.

Greg is making our new product video for the Sommerset Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HctcRuvupTo

We caught alot of fish on what I would consider traditional and improved traditional jigs, rigs and methods. The new verticle "Jig a Fluke" that Capt Stevie pioneered in 2008/09, is absolutely a winner and has been catching on. Its limitation is drift, it must be fished straight up and down, its not for dragging. Its deadly on wood and other wrecks when/where the fluke have attached themselves to the wreck and are not on the bottom proper.

However I know from a great many fluke and Sea Bass trips last season that fluke are insanely attracted to small "things" that are trying to evade them.

A crab trying to bury itself in the sand, is something no fluke can resist. I feel this "digging in the sand" is a major thing and something we have to emulate. Traditional bucktail jigs, mine and others, puff the sand and when dragged or hopped will produce a sand trail that the fluke are attracted to. However none of the present bucktails "borrow or bury themselves" in the sand - only one or two products on the market have addressed this properly and then they are too cost prohibitive to be used by any weekly diehard fluke fisherman short of Capt Goldfinger.

All winter I have been working on the "next generation" of bucktails. Here are the features you can expect to see in our new 2012 line up of "non bucktails"

1. Various attachment points for line, hook and teaser. Some models allow the jig to be tied on to the mainline in different positions. You can fish it straight up and down on those zero drift days just like a bucktail. The secondary attachment point will cause the jig to dig into the sand for a super natural presentation.

2. Sticky sharp Gamakatsu hooks, while my lures might look similar to others, only ours use the proven Gammy hook, hand snelled on USA made kevlar cord. The fluke's teeth tend to get entangled in the kevlar and then the point finds them, impaled fish and eat the same on our boat!

3. Glow in each and every color, My old friend Greg used to say I like any color as long as its green. I believe in any color as long as it glows. Fluke have little beady eyes, they cannot see all that well, they hunt by smell and vibration but the glow does help them find the hook!

4. Biodegradable packaging from recycled materials for the package ~ I am committed to 100% biodegradable packages in one year's time or less. I envision going to a recycled cardboard card with the jigs attached to the card with wire.

Here is a fussed out, sneak peak of what you can expect to see this late Spring/early summer. So its not your eyes the images are blurred on purpose.

Here is one using the insanely successful "Glow Sea Robbin" that is providing to be hard to keep in stock. Ever clean a big Fluke and find a Sea Robin or two in its belly? - that was the motivation to create this color. It took more than a year to get it perfect. Its insanely successful, the right combo of Orange, Rootbeer and Glow White.

This one is really neat. You can attach your main line to either side to vary how aggressive the "borrowing effect" is

Here is a work in progress - a cross btw a Jig and and a Bucktail, again in the 2012 Glow Sea Robin pattern I designed.

This little guy might seem familiar, but trust me its improved upon and about 1/3 the cost of the "other guy"

You see more dark colors from us as well

In testing this guy was the crowd favorite last Fall. You can't see it but the snelled hooks are attached to the body with a small swivel, similar to the Facet (tm - Tsumani) jig

Again, two attachment points to adjust to conditions, fish it up and down like a bucktail or drag and bury

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I like those squid bodies for Cannonball Style Jigs, I also add Mullet rig hooks and Wacky Worms cut in half to mimic the longer tentacles of a squid, great for deeper water fluke..around structure but not in it!...Sea Bass and blues tear these up, when you reel them up off the bottom.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Nice looking rigs Dan....you may want to consider combining a lead jig head on the heavier side, sporting a longer shanked front hook coupled with a trailing (stinger) hook that I can attach something like this to....here's my thought process....the heavier jig head does the "burrowing" and behind the shrimp, crab, etc trying to burrow, is a marauding (baby snapper) blue about 6 inches long, behind which is a 10# doormat named Glutton ;)

Keep up the good work....

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input Joe, I am working on a "Jelly" worm, but I don't think its what you are talking about. Its really for Cod and Sea Bass.

Sneak pic of Capt Howard's new boat, from Miami Boat show

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Wow that rig looks sweet,...Thanks for the offer :D..I didn't Think about those Mann Jelly worms. Haven't bought much freshwater stuff in years but those would be sweet because of the paddle tail..a perfect "Hatch Match"

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Best way to catch big fluke................with a spear.....:thumbsup: Also the best way to know where to go back to with a rod and reel!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice looking rigs Dan....you may want to consider combining a lead jig head on the heavier side, sporting a longer shanked front hook coupled with a trailing (stinger) hook that I can attach something like this to....here's my thought process....the heavier jig head does the "burrowing" and behind the shrimp, crab, etc trying to burrow, is a marauding (baby snapper) blue about 6 inches long, behind which is a 10# doormat named Glutton ;)
Thanks Frank. I have seen things like that at this years foreign shows, while I was not able to attend China Fish, I was able to get the full color show guides and they are showing jigs like that.

Sort of like this one ?

Only issue is the Chinese hooks are not consistent or reliable (they are batchy) I would have to find a good hook and then design the jig around the hook.... but its worth looking into thank you.

Did you see the new '47 Release at the Miami Show ?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best way to catch big fluke................with a spear.....:thumbsup: Also the best way to know where to go back to with a rod and reel!
Absolutely alot of our wrecks are pieces H or other divers found in the 80's and 90's (they don't dive anymore). Two seasons ago my buddy out of W/W impaled an estimated #16 to the bottom with a dive knife but didn't have a bag and the mortally wounded monster escaped him. I know there are VERY big fluke down there!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Absolutely alot of our wrecks are pieces H or other divers found in the 80's and 90's (they don't dive anymore). Two seasons ago my buddy out of W/W impaled an estimated #16 to the bottom with a dive knife but didn't have a bag and the mortally wounded monster escaped him. I know there are VERY big fluke down there!
2 years ago I saw a DEFINITE world record......just days after the season ended. Ive looked for it several times since but havent seen it.

Last year we had a few 10 lbr's.......and I had a similar situation to your friend. One got away, mortally wounded, when I tried to get it in the bag. My mistake and I felt very bad.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 years ago I saw a DEFINITE world record......just days after the season ended. Ive looked for it several times since but havent seen it.

Last year we had a few 10 lbr's.......and I had a similar situation to your friend. One got away, mortally wounded, when I tried to get it in the bag. My mistake and I felt very bad.
I believe it. He also felt pretty bad it got away and likely would not make it but you never know. Still talks about it all the time

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks for the input Joe, I am working on a "Jelly" worm, but I don't think its what you are talking about. Its really for Cod and Sea Bass.

You will have to come down and fish with us this season, the new boat is one bad a** fishing machine. Only downside, fuel burn is roughly double, Capt is looking for regulars to join our crew. Additions starting April with Wax on Wax Off :D:D:D

What kind of boat is that??

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Thanks for the input Joe, You have to come down and fish with us this season, the new boat is one bad a** fishing machine. Only downside, fuel burn is roughly double, Capt is looking for regulars to join our crew. Additions starting April with Wax on Wax Off :D:D:D

I'll bring my dremel tools, to get all those nooks and crannies....Oh, wait ! that "fishin machine is clean" no obstructions around that deck...to get in the way or polish around . Got an Interior shot you could show us????

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Missed the '47 at the boat show Dan....that is a very good lucking boat in the pic...what kind of power, Yanmar?

As far as the fluke rig, the pic you posted looks interesting....I am also looking forward to the upcoming fluke season.....had some great trips to the old grounds the past few years, with one drop producing an 8#er on the bottom rig (chartreuse gulp and feather) and a 5.25#er on the top rig (a white feather and fluke belly). Thought I had a world record, but with both fish in the net, it was all good.

Tight Lines,

Frank

Thanks Frank. I have seen things like that at this years foreign shows, while I was not able to attend China Fish, I was able to get the full color show guides and they are showing jigs like that.

Sort of like this one ?

Only issue is the Chinese hooks are not consistent or reliable (they are batchy) I would have to find a good hook and then design the jig around the hook.... but its worth looking into thank you.

Did you see the new '47 Release at the Miami Show ?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
While I also hear a rumor that the Flattie Express is moving up to Belmar to fish the rocks and Red Church areas every week!

We caught alot of fish on what I would consider traditional and improved traditional jigs, rigs and methods. The new verticle "Jig a Fluke" that Capt Stevie pioneered in 2008/09, is absolutely a winner and has been catching on. Its limitation is drift, it must be fished straight up and down, its not for dragging. Its deadly on wood and other wrecks when/where the fluke have attached themselves to the wreck and are not on the bottom proper.

However I know from a great many fluke and Sea Bass trips last season that fluke are insanely attracted to small "things" that are trying to evade them.

A crab trying to bury itself in the sand, is something no fluke can resist. I feel this "digging in the sand" is a major thing and something we have to emulate. Traditional bucktail jigs, mine and others, puff the sand and when dragged or hopped will produce a sand trail that the fluke are attracted to. However none of the present bucktails "borrow or bury themselves" in the sand - only one or two products on the market have addressed this properly and then they are too cost prohibitive to be used by any weekly diehard fluke fisherman short of Capt Goldfinger.

All winter I have been working on the "next generation" of bucktails. Here are the features you can expect to see in our new 2012 line up of "non bucktails"

1. Various attachment points for line, hook and teaser. Some models allow the jig to be tied on to the mainline in different positions. You can fish it straight up and down on those zero drift days just like a bucktail. The secondary attachment point will cause the jig to dig into the sand for a super natural presentation.

2. Sticky sharp Gamakatsu hooks, while my lures might look similar to others, only ours use the proven Gammy hook, hand snelled on USA made kevlar cord. The fluke's teeth tend to get entangled in the kevlar and then the point finds them, impaled fish and eat the same on our boat!

3. Glow in each and every color, My old friend Greg used to say I like any color as long as its green. I believe in any color as long as it glows. Fluke have little beady eyes, they cannot see all that well, they hunt by smell and vibration but the glow does help them find the hook!

4. Biodegradable packaging from recycled materials for the package ~ I am committed to 100% biodegradable packages in one year's time or less. I envision going to a recycled cardboard card with the jigs attached to the card with wire.

Here is a fussed out, sneak peak of what you can expect to see this late Spring/early summer. So its not your eyes the images are blurred on purpose.

Here is one using the insanely successful "Glow Sea Robbin" that is providing to be hard to keep in stock. Ever clean a big Fluke and find a Sea Robin or two in its belly? - that was the motivation to create this color. It took more than a year to get it perfect. Its insanely successful, the right combo of Orange, Rootbeer and Glow White.

This one is really neat. You can attach your main line to either side to vary how aggressive the "borrowing effect" is

Here is a work in progress - a cross btw a Jig and and a Bucktail, again in the 2012 Glow Sea Robin pattern I designed.

This little guy might seem familiar, but trust me its improved upon and about 1/3 the cost of the "other guy"

You see more dark colors from us as well

In testing this guy was the crowd favorite last Fall. You can't see it but the snelled hooks are attached to the body with a small swivel, similar to the Facet (tm - Tsumani) jig

Again, two attachment points to adjust to conditions, fish it up and down like a bucktail or drag and bury

[/QUOTE]
Dan as a long , long time belmar fisherman and someone who has put tons of hours on the rocks in my boats and head boats leave the swing hooks home they mostly are godd for catching the rocks up north
Hope your season is a good one Hope to talk soon
tony

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You as well Tony, we have to get out and do some tackle testing together this season. These style of jigs are not suited to rocks at all, I agree and personally up until last season, I didn't pay them too much mind, but after watching fish after fish fall victim to a longer 8' soft action rod and those famous "S" jigs, there is something too it no doubt about it. Also shops like Jim's could not keep the Facet (tm) jigs in stock either (style with Siwash hook crimped to a swivel, swivel cast to jig) so if that is what the public wants, who am I to deny them :D

Are you going to the PPB Ocean Co Fire Flea Market on Sunday

OCEAN FIRE COMPANY's 17th Annual Fishing Flea Market and Fishing Collectible Show - Sunday Feb 26, 2012 - 8:30 AM til 2:30 PM - Antrim School, 401 Niblick St. Pt Pleasant Beach, NJ - Entrance Fee : $3 - For additional information, contact Dan Miles via email or call 732-714-8308.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
This is going to be a KILLER COMBO!!!!!! I already grabbed some for the shop today. I think this color will be a killer. I have been using orange for a long time.....this is even better!!! Good seeing you today Dan, I emailed over an order, with more to come.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
This is going to be a KILLER COMBO!!!!!! I already grabbed some for the shop today. I think this color will be a killer. I have been using orange for a long time.....this is even better!!! Good seeing you today Dan, I emailed over an order, with more to come.

Figure a way to put some wings on that baby and it would be a "Hatch Matcher.". Maybe you could epoxy some trimmed up Hogy flounder Filets on that...LOL..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts