BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it may be some time before we can use this tecnhique, but once you get your first fish on topwater you WILL be hooked... guaranteed.

Rod/Reel: Many people fret on using all these different combos for different techniques, but I keep things simple. I use my 6'6'' St. Croix premier or Triumph matched up with either my Daiwa capricorn or Shimano Symetre. (both spinning setups) These are both good all around setups.

Line: Some people swear by x brand, x type, and x lb test. I usually go with 8lb Trilene I believe. I have also used 20# power pro and caught fish just as consistently as with mono. Many people swear that you can't use braid because it sinks, as well as flouro. You can always use braid with mono connected by a uni-uni knot. So with whatever you are comfortable with. I have even used braid connected directly to the lure with successful hookups.

Lures: Ah the debate continues. My absolute favorite is the jitterbug becuse of the disturbance in the water along with being able to cover a lot of water. I have caught fish on buzzbaits but do not prefer them due to the speed MOST of them need to be fished. They however have come a long way. Poppers... probably my least favorite. Too slow for my likings, especially at night. I use them more on overcast days than night time excursions. Zara spooks also work well, but I am not a fan of them.

Technique/presentation: I find myself doing the exact opposite of what most anglers say to do. They say to throw parallell to shore. I personally throw right at the shore, and bring it back to the boat. Yes many fish are stated in the shallow water, but there are also a ton off deeper. Many of the fish in the shallows are just one to three feet from the shore. Throwing perpendicular to the back will often have your lure traveling behind the fish. I will repeatedly throw at the bank, sometimes up to 10 casts in the same exact spot. Object is to get as close to shore as possivle. You wouldn't believe how many BIIIIG fish I have had my lure in 20-25' of water not far from the goat. Do not be afraid to fish deep water with topwater. Also, DO NOT SET THE HOOK WHEN YOU SEE THE FISH HIT. The lure is often not set in the mouth at first. Reel until you feel tension, then let er rip! It's also a good idea to wear clear safety goggles when fishing at night as you will oftn hhave the lure flying at you from missed hooksets. Being in a kayak makes it even more dangerous.

Time of year: I usally fish from July through August for the night timers. I have pulled nice fish from my sandwash, Giampetro, willowgrove, etc. I would like to try SVP but its closed at night, and menantico ponds is a little too shady.

Well I hope I didn't miss out on anything major. This topwater stuff is often overlooked and can produce MONSTER fish. Nothing like have a 5# bass inhale your lure right off the surface. Any questions and feel free to ask.

BTW, I would say that over 50% of the fish I catch 3lbs or better are on some sort of topwater lure.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
3:16 6" shad baby wake? Ever try the 7" hyper herring?
I have the hyper herring floater. It was no good for me until I put a few wraps of lead wire on the front hook. After that it made a deeper wake and caught more fish. You can also burn them with 0 rollover. That's the difference between the 2. Hyper Herring = fast and long / Wake = slow and stubby.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mistake, thought braid sank. Someone told me once that it sinks so I wouldn't use it for my topwater excursions. I obviously didn't listen. :p

One problem I have with mone is that I have had it snap on good fish, I am guessing from hitting the side of the yak. I have obviously never been able to see it at night, but the braid has put a stop to this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good post Sandwasherslugger. I'd like to add top-water frogs to the list. There isn't much better than having a LMB bust a frog. If it's close to my kayak I might pee my pants! I like Rage toads and I want o give the new Yum Money Frogs a try this year. i also would like to see how the Yum Money Hound looks; walking-the-dog. Just need to get rid of this SNOW. sorry for using a four-letter word.
Tom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.