BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Did some new regs come out? Are the big fish now protected? I agree with the smaller slot being the proper one for the sustainability of the species. As said it has obviously worked for other species. But hey... it’s just common sense. Not something that is often used in this world that we live in today.

·
Registered
14,526 Posts
Did some new regs come out? Are the big fish now protected? I agree with the smaller slot being the proper one for the sustainability of the species. As said it has obviously worked for other species. But hey... it’s just common sense. Not something that is often used in this world that we live in today.
28” to 38” and If you get a bonus tag you get one slot 24” to 28”.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm hoping Capt Harv from Vetcraft shows up and explains this better from a more scientific view, (he wrote a fantastic post about this very subject a few years ago if you want to take the time is search for it) but basically, all the "huge" fish are breeding females. The way nature works with stripers (and many other species, is that rarely do the males grow as large as the older females who lay eggs by the thousands. Hence the limit of "large" fish in the regs.

I know it'll be tough on the charter guys, but in order to sustain the fishery, we as a whole (including and especially the commercial guys) have to cut back on the harvesting of a resource that's slower to grow and to reach breeding age that other species. Unfortunately, due to the sheer numbers of fish (all species) that are removed from the bay(s) I can see strict slots and limits on most all of the sport fish in the bay(s) in the near future.

Found the article!

Another concept I think we should be aware of is the value of our prime breeders. It has been documented in many species that the more mature females are very important to the reproductive status of the stock. Larger females produce more eggs per pound of body weight than smaller females. Larger females produce fry that have larger yolk sacs giving them a survival advantage. It has been shown in some species like cod that larger females also spawn more often in a season than smaller females.

I have written to the head of the SSC (science and statistical committee of the MidAtlantic Fishery Management Council and told him (Dr Richard Seagraves) that we need to start managing our stocks based on the reproductive value of its members not by pounds. Currently we try to measure SSB (spawning stock biomass) to try to assess the reproductive health of the stock. It does so to some extent but not in the best manner. I proposed a reproductive value stock assessment. Let me explain>>>>>

A 4 pound female produces more then twice the amount of two 2 pound females so it is worth more to the stock. A female in the process of spawning is worth more to the stock than the same weight female earlier in the year when it may be killed prior to reaching the spawning grounds. A young male fluke is not an important member of a breeding stock>>>>>>>>>>

So for example a 10 pound female fluke on the spawning grounds is given a score of 10. A 4 pound fluke on the spawning grounds may be given a score of 6 and not on the spawning grounds a score of 5. a 1 pound fluke might have a score of 1. etc etc. This type of system really better reflects the reproductive capacity of a stock better than poundage numbers.

So how could we put this system into practical use>>>>>>>>

Let's use NJ current regulations as an example.....3 fish over 18"........Now we kill some very valuable fish to the population. Let's say this size fish had a value of 5, for a total of 15. How about if you caught a 23" fish with a value of 7. then you would only be allowed 8 more points worth of fish. etc. In this type of system your catch would vary by adding up point values of the fish. A little complex and certainly would be problematic to institute but it would allow anglers to take home some dinner with doing the same amount of damage to the stock.

Capt Harv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts