BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the day off, so I took my first trip above Route 80 since opening day. First off, I forgot that it was Easter Monday and that a lot of other folks had the day off, so my choice of stream had a surprising number of people on it, which was not originally in the plan. I decided to stick it out because the flows looked great, I was already suited up, and it was a beauty of a day. In retrospect, I should have gone to plan B or C, but sometimes the challenging days are good for me, I guess.

I only had the fly rods with me, so I did some walking and found some elbow room. I started drifting a pheasant tail, but nothing was happening in a hole I was certain held some fish. I had a suspicion that I wasn't getting down deep enough, so I switched to a copper john with a soft hackle pt as a dropper. I got a total of one trout on the dropper all day, but started getting hits on the beadhead, so I stuck with it for a lot of the morning. I ended up with only 6 hard won fish in 5 hours of fishing. I dropped a few too, probably an equal number as landed, which is frustrating on a day when fish are few and far. Besides the copper john and the dropper, I got one on a big beaded woolly worm and lost one in a fast run on the same fly. Besides some botched shots of an osprey, it was a one picture day. A healthy, pretty rainbow:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Nice Rainbow! I have to ask, what is a copper john?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.