BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family just bought a place right on Townsend's Inlet, anyone who is familiar with the inlet knows the big condominiums on the sea isle side facing the bay. There's a big dock right in front of it, which from what people tell me is great at night. Any suggestions on fishing it at night?

I figured I'd target stripers with big crankbaits or swimbaits, the current moves so fast there that I didn't think I'd have too much luck bait fishing the bottom. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

· Registered
753 Posts
It is a good striper spot in the spring and fall. IMO the boat and PWC traffic in the summer drive the schoolie bass away during the day. During the day it is a decent spot for fluke and cocktail blues that like to hang out near the dock. Won't catch any keepers but it is a good way to kill some time. If it is a real windy day the current really move through there so don't waste your time as I rarely catch any thing on windy days there. At night, topwater and cranks would work. I would not discount using clams, chunks, minnows on the botom but even though it is a no wake zone starting there, at night guys ignore it and so you have to watch your line doesn't get snagged by a passing boat. It may also be worth your time to hit the TI bridge at night too.

· Registered
5,193 Posts
My family just bought a place right on Townsend's Inlet, anyone who is familiar with the inlet knows the big condominiums on the sea isle side facing the bay. There's a big dock right in front of it, which from what people tell me is great at night. Any suggestions on fishing it at night?

I figured I'd target striper's with big crank baits or swim baits, the current moves so fast there that I didn't think I'd have too much luck bait fishing the bottom. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

The current moving through the canal is fast but thats not where they hang out. Your dock creates current breaks where the fish stage behind to catch bait. You have allot of great structure around there between the rock and the sunken pilings. Use plastics at night and pitch all around and under the dock. You'll get em. Get a light and set it up off the end of the dock for night bass. Try to find a Leah in the current where bait can congregate to place your light. We'll test it out for you on our way back from Buschs:).

· Registered
659 Posts
The light is the key. Get yourself a nice waterproof Halogen light and point it down into the water. Not out. You will probably see them before you catch them. Some nights you have to be quiet and sneak up, others they will just slam anything. Fish around the slack tides.

Also, your best lure choice from my experience will be something in the pink finesse fish or zoom on a jighead. Usually 1/4-1/2 oz will get the job done without issue.

· Registered
6,469 Posts
That dock would probably be an easy and convenient way to catch a few fish and a decent one here and there, but there are a zillion better options in the SIC and 7MI area.

Also, I would not be so quick to give up on the bait fishing. Fresh clam or bunker may be your best bet off the dock on the right night tides. If you give it a go make sure you have a way to land the fish, not sure if you could beach it from the dock. A pier net would be perfect.

RyanF

· Registered
49,944 Posts
my family just bought a place right on townsend's inlet, anyone who is familiar with the inlet knows the big condominiums on the sea isle side facing the bay. There's a big dock right in front of it, which from what people tell me is great at night. Any suggestions on fishing it at night?

I figured i'd target stripers with big crankbaits or swimbaits, the current moves so fast there that i didn't think i'd have too much luck bait fishing the bottom. Any ideas?

Thanks guys
also try a chum pot on the bottom--may need some weight.

· Registered
6,469 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.