BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was towing the boat home this fall and I had a bearing failure and lost a wheel and beat the spindle up so the whole axel had to be replaced. I had to do it in a parking lot emergency style. So I got the axel that I thought I needed. Everything matched up fine and I got the boat home. As I’m looking at the two axels I notice they are different. The original axel is a drop axel and the new one is just a straight axel. I can’t return the axel as per Franklin Trailer COVID policy. The boat looks fine sitting on it but wanted to get feedback as to if this would be ok. I trailer the boat from my house to the marina (45 mins) and back in the fall and sometimes trailer it for real bad storms. I also still have the old axel. Are they repairable? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,793 Posts
A drop axle lowers the frame of the trailer closer to the ground. This allows one to launch the boat without going deeper into the water. Otherwise, not much difference. Here is a video on the subject:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info AJ. I think I should be ok I guess. Just hope the mix of the two axels is ok. My drop axel is a 2in drop I believe.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I would think that both axles would need to be the same, is the new axle straight?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Well the springs would then be compressed at different deflections, which may cause an issue.... Not sure but I would assume that both axles should be the same.....

·
Registered
13,725 Posts
IDK i am thinking if the axels / Tires are no the same level there is more pressure somewhere either the larger axel / tire or even on the trailer tongue / hitch or both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts