BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to check the grease on the bearings. How do i get the caps off? They are kind of rusty looking. Hammer and screwdriver? They screw off?

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Groggy said:
I have to check the grease on the bearings. How do i get the caps off? They are kind of rusty looking. Hammer and screwdriver? They screw off?
Tap out the dust caps then replace.
I would get bearing buddys and rubber caps.
The bearing buddy has a rough surface to "bite" the hub better. I tried red-eyes but after losing 2 in three trips, I ditched them.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
They are a force fit so yes you have to knock them off, with a chisel or screwdriver and hammer. There is a small lip that you can get under to beat/ply them off. I agree with Jason replace the old cap with a bearing buddy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike Hammer said:
They are a force fit so yes you have to knock them off, with a chisel or screwdriver and hammer. There is a small lip that you can get under to beat/ply them off. I agree with Jason replace the old cap with a bearing buddy.
Once I get the cap off whats next? I see the grease guns but the have some kind of fitting on them Will my bearings have the matching fitting to shoot grease into? Or do I have to take out the bearings and greae by hand? I will get those bearing buddies.

·
Banned
303 Posts
you might want to have someone who has done it before show u the procedure for the first time,than you will have a good understanding on how to maintain your axels.

·
Registered
77,334 Posts
I would agree with that suggestion. There are also races the bearing ride on. They should be replaced if you need to replace any bearings.
Good luck

·
Registered
921 Posts
pull out the cotter pin (get new pins, old ones will brake ) pull straight off the castle nut cap. unscrew the nut that holds on the slotted thrust washer. now i'm assuming you already jacked up this wheel and chocked the others. the wheel will pull off and the bearings will come with it. if they and the races look good, meaning no tracks in either of them and the grease looks good ( not creamy ) you can put a new seal on the back and grease in the housing by hand (messy) and reverse procedure. not that hard. try it and save yourself some money. if your bearings look bad ( scoring or creamy wet grease ) you'll have to knock the races out and install new ones, using a mallet and a tapered wood dowel. then new grease and the new bearings and your set. take your old set after you get them out for proper sizing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts