BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repairing my boat and trailer is there any kind of paint or something that you can put on the springs and the bolts to keep them from rusting. My thought was maybe some undercoating thanks for the help guys.:confused:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The springs will flex to much. The paint will chip off. You could WD40 them or even coat them in water proof grease. THe paint on the bolts you will kick your self if or when you need to change them out.

·
Supporting Vendors
479 Posts
What we recommend

CRC H.D. Marine Corrosion Inhibitor, 10 oz. #06026

Painting doesn't work because the salt water works its way between the leaves. Some people will use old motor oil but this would leave an oil slick at the launching ramp.

Give the spring a complete, heavy coating a couple times a season. This will extend the life of leaf springs.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
The bolts you can paint with just about anything you want. A rusty metal primer and a top coat, I use a healthy layer of Never seive on the bolt threads and the nuts.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
http://www.por15.com/

This is by far the best stuff out there. :thumbsup:
I agree 150% POR15 along with the CRC HD Corrosion Inhibitor, but nothing will work on trailer springs. Ever bump/bounce with springs you have raw steel grinding against raw steel.

The single best thing you can do and this goes especially for disc brakes. Is get a 2 gal pump up garden sprayer at Home Depo. Full it with fresh water and 2-3 ounces of Dawn dish soap. Every time the trailer comes out of saltwater wash the springs and brakes off. That means twice a day if you go in and come out the same day. If you leave the salt cook while you are out boating the damage is already done.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
springs

I got the new spings yesterday and they are coated with something from the factory . I will just keep them clean after comeing out of the water thanks. I was going to put everything back together this weekend but looks like its going to rain. I will have to clean the garage to get it in there. Thanks adain guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.