BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new Garmin transducers on my boat this spring. Garmin recommends using a water based paint on the transducer. My boat is in a slip all season long. Any recommendations? These are "plastic" faced and Garmin says not to use ketone based paint.

·
Registered
31,036 Posts
MDR transducer paint. A small bottle with a brush inside. It will last you many years. Only need 2 lightly brushed coats each spring. I never get any growth on my 2 transducers.

That's what I use. I get weed growth but not barnacles

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
And another no issues - do yourself a favor and get a small quality brush like 3/8” makes it go so much faster and it’s water based - easy to clean.

·
Registered
17,560 Posts
I spread some MDR paint on a piece of foam, wipe 2 coats on the transducer & throw out the foam. The process takes maybe 2 minutes on a slow day. Using that little brush that comes in the bottle is way too tedious.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you put a stainless steel nut.. larger one like a 5/16" or 3/8" in the MDR container... you can keep it stirred up pretty well just by shaking... after a few yrs it gets pretty clumpy, THEN the foam/sponge wipe will even out the chunks..

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
I thin this is what I used, little white bottle? Works no problem sitting in slip for 5 months

MDR transducer paint. A small bottle with a brush inside. It will last you many years. Only need 2 lightly brushed coats each spring. I never get any growth on my 2 transducers.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
I use acid brushes, get a bunch at harbor freight cheap

I spread some MDR paint on a piece of foam, wipe 2 coats on the transducer & throw out the foam. The process takes maybe 2 minutes on a slow day. Using that little brush that comes in the bottle is way too tedious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts