BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, in error, I placed this on someone else's thread. As you can see I am a new member, sorry, so here goes again.........

I am a new Barn member but an old SJ salt. I have a 24' Grady-White. During my pre launch check out, my mechanic found that my transom felt "soft". Does anyone out there know where I can get this reinforced (?), or repaired? Boat is powered with 225 Merc Optimax outboard - not a Grady (stern) drive
I am in the North Wildwood area.
Any info/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Some Barn members have replied, advising to contact Youngs. I have done so and awaiting their reply.

Also, has anyone heard of modifying transom, like newer models, to avoid 'swamping' when taking a wave over the stern? I carry some of my young Grandsons and ant to bew as safe as possible.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
There are a few guys to talk to and many are real busy this time of year. There isn't a good way to reinforce the transom other then to rebuild it.

What year Grady?

To modify the transom you're adding a bunch of cost to the job for sure.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I would check out Jaws I don't know his real name but am sure someone will chime in. He has shown some pics of his transome work on here and it appears to be top notch. I think he's in Cape May Courthouse. That boat will never swamp. Just because a wave or two come through the cutout doesn't mean she's swamping. I have seen panels put in the cutout but they will stop water from running back out the cutout if you do happen to take on a large amount of water.

·
Registered
903 Posts
barnaclebillsmarine said:
The only thing you can really do is purchase a 30" shaft engine and mount your bracket up another 5"ish. You cannot go wrong with Youngs.
take it from someone who knows best

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fiberglass work by Youngs

I recently had some repair work done by the guys at Youngs fiberglass. My repairs were all cosmetic but I took a look at some of the MAJOR repair work they have completed, as well as what is out in the yard awaiting repair. They can tackle almost anything. One of the owners has a Grady that they recently redid and it looks great. Mine is a 23 Gulfstream and fairly picky on who services my baby - they did better than I expected. Give em a call.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I don't want to alarm you, but if your transom is really bad the motor can rip off the transom. One tip if the transom is bad is if there are cracks in the corners where the water drains and around the splash well where the motor bolts up.

From what I hear you can't go wrong with Young's or Jawz.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
They've done quite a few at Somer's Point Marina [ a sponsor and Grady dealer ]. Give Keith Dooner[service manager] a call. 609-927-5900. He'll be glad to help you out. Tell him Matt K sent ya.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We had the same boat, with the same problem. It was a 1979 Gradywhite offshore with an open transom. I would suggest just sucking up the cost's and get the transom completely replaced with new wood and the whole 9 yards. It was definitely worth it for us as the boat will be rock solid, give you much more confidence, and you will never have to worry about this problem again. At the same time ask for a quote on enclosing the transom.

You could also look at the newer grady white models with enclosed transom's. Take measurement of how much room you need for the engine when tilted up and build a structure out of plywood to enclose the transom. Fiberglass over the whole thing, fiberglass it into place, and your done, just have to finish it the way you want. Your boat should also have a small wall in the back that you can flip up or keep down. Keep this wall up as it has actually helped me in one dangerous situation!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts