BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are taking a family vacation to the keys in June and are planning on renting a boat to keep behind the house we are staying at. Originally, the grandparents were going to drive down and take all of the fishing equipment with them, but they changed their mind and decided to fly. So, my question is what is the best way to transport the equipment down there without paying a fortune to take it on the plane with us. Our thought was to possibly ship it down to the boat rental center and pick it up when we get the boat. Has anyone ever done this? What are the best ways to get the equipment down there? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well wrapped rods in a PVC tube and shipped UPS or Fed Ex; call and check price and length limit. Checked bag for reels, line and tackle, and buy lead wts there as needed. Flying with rods is probably pricey and a hassle via the air cargo people.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for the replies. That thread helped a lot, and that's pretty much the exact situation we're faced with. Looks like shipping is defiently the way to go, but we'll have to check if the fedex or ups building can hold the rods for us until we pick them up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
you can have them hold your packages at the UPS sort facility. There's usually a Will Call desk. The question would be, where is the facility in relation to where you are staying. Or it usually takes 3 days to ship something ground from FL to NJ and vice versa, so you can ship a day before you leave and you should get it the day after you do.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
you would be better served shipping the stuff to the place you are staying a few days before you get there..I would not trust fishing stuff sitting in a UPS facility in Florida.....your stuff may come up missing..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just talked to the marina where we will be renting the boat and they said they will hold it for us. They said people ship tackle down all the time. The only problem we had with shipping it to the house was that there would be no one there to recieve it for us.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
On another note, Ive started paying extra when I need a new rod and buying a few 3 and 4 piece rods. St Croix makes some excelant ones. Yes they cost more but you can stick a couple 7 foot spinning rods in your suitcase and not even notice them.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
To add what barrell said. I bought st criox triumph 4 piece spinning, 7 ft. One ML and one L, served me fine for line weights. I think the rods were $110 each.

I was able to carry in a backpack as a carry on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts