BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the show on OLN. How intense was that show. I wonder how much that raft goes for, along with those survival suits. I definatly need more equipment for my boat. I don't go offshore, just inshore. How well equiped is your boat, and what extra equipment do you carry, besides what the coastguard calls for?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you didn't get a chance to see the show, Tred Barta's boat hits an object in the water while returning in from about 72 miles offshore, takes on water, and starts to sinks. The boat actually strikes the object 32 miles out. He goes into survival mode. One of his crew also gets sick. Very eye openning show.

·
Registered
529 Posts
LM, it was a staged show, but informative nonetheless. The man is a bit full of himself.
Back to your thread - We carry a 6 man liferaft packaged in a valise,kept under a bench seat just aft of where I drive. EPIRB mounted on the hardtop which will deploy automatically once boat goes under if unable to get to it in time. Waterproof "ditch" box kept next to me which includes Sat phone, handheld VHF and GPS.
Offshore life vests (8).

·
Registered
786 Posts
Gumby suits: $300

406 EPIRB: $600-1000

Raft: $1500-3500

Hardly worth anything unless you know how to use them.

How easy would you be able to get your elderly, overweight, incapacitated, panic striken, for that matter healthy fare into a survival suit or raft?

Tell you what I would not be running offshore sea bassin this time of year (small boat) without my own suit, that I know and have practiced getting into. Also my own EPIRP, strobe light, water proof radio, ditch bag ect.

I know some people that work on the water wear a drysuit under their clothing.

Inshore offshore its all a gamble... you play the odds. It dosn't make you feel any better when you just miss a shipping container that's partially submerged... at 30 knts.

Like Barta said you can put out all the $$$ for the equiptment but can you utilize in a emergency situation? Also if your the master of the vessel how well can you direct your crew/passengers.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tred bring a "little" full of himself may be the understatement of the new year!
Last night's show certainly makes you think.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It sure makes you think. It was nice to see the use and deployment of the raft and use of the suits.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Tred is definite psycho..but he did have a very informative show. I couldnt imagine what could go on at 70 miles offshore...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out to the Texas Towers for Blue Fin last year in my buddys 27' Ocean Master center console. I know he had the epirb, but raft, I don't think so. I'll have to give him a call.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good morning all! Long time reader. First time log in. I saw the Barta show. Aside from the staged "events", my opinion is that the show was informative and hopefully will encourage boaters to take the necessary safety steps to not only have the necessary gear but also to test/try them before they have to use them. The fact that the government agencies participated show that SAFETY FIRST should be the motto for all those who take to the water.
The actual events referred to are a testament to their bravery and dedication. They are to be admired.
Also just by viewing this site I requested and have received as a Christmas present a Mustang float coat and Stearn flotation suspenders.
Thanks for listening.
PS My last "nice size striper" was a 39" 13lbs 4 oz night fishing in the Turtle last June 05.
Kind Regards to all.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome aboard Meanmachine. Although I dont venture offshore, I'm going to upgrade my PFD to the offshore type. A step in the right direction, the eprib is next.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Welcome aboard Meanmachine!

I think Tred's show brought some very interesting messages to anyone who watched it, but I am not a Tred fan as a rule... he just plain freaks out too easy over non-issues.

I came away from the show with a renewed appreciation for those that risk their lives to save lives... and a renewal of the fact that a few extra dollars in the bank will do my family alot less good than having me around.

I own and wear a full Mustang survival suit with a PLB in one pocket and a waterproof vhf in the other when water temps warrent. In the summer, a pair of autoinflate sospenders whenever I fish alone in the bay or nearshore with the same ditch equipment in my pockets.

Last year I replaced all of my cheapo life vests with commercial offshore jackets with strobes...this year I am shopping a valise style raft....

I fish alone alot, and to me, this is the cheapest insurance I can buy.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Welcome Meanmachine. Hope you enjoy your stay & yes, you speak wisely.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FMTUNA, or other Barners, ware did you get your offshore vests from. Since my vests (Cheapo) came with the boat last year, I'm not sure which ones are the better. Any advice on the subject.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Mike... go over to any Marine store like West Marine... they will have them... then go to one of our great sponsers like Lacey Marine... they will give you a better price...

Here is a link to a manufacturer that has a pretty good visual comparison on one page, although I am not advocating their particular products:

PFD's

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The best ones are the ones you wear all the time...take a look at the SOS suspender type or equivalent. I hate wearing anything too.... but the suspender ones are pretty nifty and could save your life if you do a lot of solo stuff...as there is no one to bring the boat to you if you fall over...stuff it with lots of lights and pocket flares.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I caught the 1am airing and the show was definately educational. I now realize that there are few additional safety items that need to be added before the upcoming season. Here's hoping that no one on this board ever has to be in such a terrible situation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts