BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use the 6'6 M Trevala for everything inshore from bass,blues, fluke, and sea bass. Hands down its the best rod you will ever own. If your really looking for 1 rod for all then thats your set up. I match mine with a Avet sx and Ive never looked back. I went from carrying 4 rods to 2 rods on the boat now, and the other rod is exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Like Tommy, I have two of the 6'6 M Trevalas. If you want a rod that can do everything, this is it. I have Daiwa Pluton reels on both of them. I also have a bunch of the Daiwa Saltiga boat jigging rods. They are awesome too, but the Trevalas just look cooler.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have one matched with Calcutta. I purposely got a stiff fast tip but in retrospect wish I went with slow. I feel the stiff tip rips bait to quickly especially for fluke. Personally I do much better with slow action wet noodle style rods for fluke, more forgiving and hold bottom better.

Great rods overall, just make sure you match the action to your fishing style.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I've got them all and if you want looks check out the Tsunami Air wave. I put some on the boat down here in Guatemala but I still haven't had the chance to give them a workout.

·
Registered
292 Posts
a very Versatile rod

This winter I brought along two of my Travala TVC58XXH rods with me to fish the SW coast of FL this past Jan. and Feb. and now in the Key's. My wife and I have caught everything from 3 pound Sheepshead to 200 pound Goliath Grouper and everything in between. No need to bring six different rods with me anymore....Back home it is my favorite Togger and I use the same rod for jigging BFT, YFT and squid. I rig mine with an Avet HX 2/Speed and my wife's with an Avet LX 2/speed....Both set ups are extremely lightweight.
The only negitive I found is when fighting a big fish the bend of the rod is such that the top of my thumb resting on the fore grip comes in contact with the braid line..That will be corrected (hopefully) when I remove the hook holder at the rod base and replace it with a stripper guide that is intended to lift the braid higher and save my thumb from being severed off.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
I have a couple and have broken two.

Good for flukin, seabassin, toggin, and we even caught a few tuna on them. I am not a fan of them for tuna by the way... there are way better options.

Broke both of the lighter ones (MH) when snagging bunker with a treble... they just snapped on the abrupt hook up below the bottom guide.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a couple and have broken two.

Good for flukin, seabassin, toggin, and we even caught a few tuna on them. I am not a fan of them for tuna by the way... there are way better options.

Broke both of the lighter ones (MH) when snagging bunker with a treble... they just snapped on the abrupt hook up below the bottom guide.
First of all if all there jigging rods, not casting rods. No matter who is the manufacture its a big NO NO to high stick this type of rod, the strength of these rods is for lifting up and down not up and out. That is why you most probally broke your rods snagging bunker.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
First of all if all there jigging rods, not casting rods. No matter who is the manufacture its a big NO NO to high stick this type of rod, the strength of these rods is for lifting up and down not up and out. That is why you most probally broke your rods snagging bunker.
Thanks for your thoughts Tom....

I agree that these rods are ideally to be used straight up and down, but even when a rod is not being used for what it "ideally" designed for, like when I snag a 1# bunker with it, and it blows up...in my humble opinion, the rod sucks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts Tom....

I agree that these rods are ideally to be used straight up and down, but even when a rod is not being used for what it "ideally" designed for, like when I snag a 1# bunker with it, and it blows up...in my humble opinion, the rod sucks.

Yeah that sucks. A far as Im concerned its been nothing but cream for me. However, I would not use it to target the actual big game species it was designed to handle. Its been pretty much proven that the trevala can not handle a consistent day in and day out beating on +100lbs BFT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.