1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Visit the beach at low tide.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No waves equals deep water.look for any irregularity in the waves, breaks odd wave breaks -those represent underwater structure.Low tide being your best friend for reading the beach but if not available.reading the waves are next best things.If waves are breaking far out -then you have a sandbar-if waves break far out then stop breaking and break close up -then you have a hole in front of you-want you want to do is follow the breaking wave (far out) until it stops-there is an opening and if fish are going to come in to feed they are going to travel through there to do it.Wednesday morning my sons and I got into it at Holgate, what we had was incoming tide, a sandbar wher the waves were breaking over and an opening in the sandbar (no waves) what happened was classic- the bait was essentially trapped!The larger fish came through the opening and forced the bait to the shore there was no escape and a slaughter ensued-the bait ran up and down the beach and could not get over the bar to get out! An example of how fish use structure to feed! Dakota you sound like you really want to learn about bass fishing- get some great books/Striper Surf by Frank Daigneault or any of his seven books will teach you what these fish are all about.Structure,bait and current and most important you gotta BELIEVE!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Those three replys.... in that order....over and over again....good luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Still learning but try this- especially at night(when you haven't had a chance to scout and structure is not very apparent).
Put on a floating plug- cast straight out- feel the way it sweeps. Then as you make your way up the beach (casting *usually 45 degrees opposite of the sweep direction) Pay attention to an area where the sweep goes in the opposite direction. That's definately a cut in the bar. Work both sides (including the one you just unknowingly walked past) Stare at the wave pattern while you are working plugs. Most times you will notice a difference in the wave pattern.
Example- Sat my plugs were all sweeping North to South. I found 2 areas where the plugs swept South to North then dug in and "drummed" half way through the sweep. With all of the wind there wasn't too much of a change in the waves breaking over the bar-but it was apparent in the dark thatthe water was coming together-near the beach from 2 directions and funneling back out- differently and with more force than the rest of the area I'd covered.
So those were cuts in the bar. I didn't catch anything that night- but past experience has taught me that my best chances were those two areas.
I live 70 miles from the beach- fish when I can- so I don't get much chance to scout. SJ beaches are harder to read than beaches with some deeper shorelines. If it was warm I'd tell you to go swimming. I use to ride waves and then let the rip take me back out(DE). I didn't surf fish- but I knew the structure from swimming.

·
Registered
99 Posts
GATOR,
I live in secane, anytime you want to go. just post in surf forum. I GO every Sat night and once during the week in nov-dec. Have beach passes.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Originally posted by Gator:
Still learning but try this- especially at night(when you haven't had a chance to scout and structure is not very apparent).
Put on a floating plug- cast straight out- feel the way it sweeps. Then as you make your way up the beach (casting *usually 45 degrees opposite of the sweep direction) Pay attention to an area where the sweep goes in the opposite direction. That's definately a cut in the bar. Work both sides (including the one you just unknowingly walked past) Stare at the wave pattern while you are working plugs. Most times you will notice a difference in the wave pattern.
Example- Sat my plugs were all sweeping North to South. I found 2 areas where the plugs swept South to North then dug in and "drummed" half way through the sweep. With all of the wind there wasn't too much of a change in the waves breaking over the bar-but it was apparent in the dark thatthe water was coming together-near the beach from 2 directions and funneling back out- differently and with more force than the rest of the area I'd covered.
So those were cuts in the bar. I didn't catch anything that night- but past experience has taught me that my best chances were those two areas.
I live 70 miles from the beach- fish when I can- so I don't get much chance to scout. SJ beaches are harder to read than beaches with some deeper shorelines. If it was warm I'd tell you to go swimming. I use to ride waves and then let the rip take me back out(DE). I didn't surf fish- but I knew the structure from swimming.
Gator, That's a good discription and an excelent tip for someone without the benefit of tips 1 2 and 3. Sounds like you know your way around in the dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts