BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a fun day learning the ropes of freshwater trout fishing on Friday. Dave tried his best to to guide our group (Jay, Paul and myself) to a sucessful day, but mother nature wouldn't allow it to happen the way we planned. 45mph winds, below freezing temps, leaves blowing off the banks into the water made us work hard. Didn't feel bad at all. It was just nice to get outside and try. Talked to other trout fishermen and they were all having the same results. Dave lent me a light rod and reel, make flys for all of us to use, he just forgot to stock the stream. :D

Speaking of stocking, we took a trip to a hatchery and got to see some big trout. Even got to feed them some pellets. Jay was our official photographer for the day. Can't wait to see some of the intersting shots he took.

Got to do it again. It is totally different than the saltwater flyfishing and I feel I was starting to get a good feel for how it is done. Next time mother nature better watch out!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray Good to see you at the show & glad you got out. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You guys had to leave before we could catch anything ;) . We stopped over at the spot where I wanted to start out, and I got a few wild brookies in the small creek, about 5" max. They are tiny, but the colors sure beat the size. Hopefully Jay's pics will come out.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, Yea When Paul and I left you were still playing with those trout at the hatchery. I bet you hooked up there. Seriously, glad you caught after putting out all that effort. I would like to do it again. It will be neat to see Jays pictures, I know he took alot.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Don't feel bad guys. I hit KLG hardon Sat. Tough conditions. The fish haven't started to turn on yet. I saw a 6 lber weighed in the other day caught on a salmon egg down from the hatchery.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
well don't mean to be a wise-a** but assuming that this is the pequest, unless they were down below the steel bridge @ furnace rd. they shouldn't have been using bait.

('course nobody even said this hatchery was in nj did they?)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Aren't the bait restrictions on the PQ lifted in the winter? I don't remember. Not meaning to stir up trouble, but either way, I don't know how satisfied I'd be catching a 6lb trout downstream from the hatchery. How much of an accomplishment is that? The guy might as well have been fishing AT the hatchery

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, If it was my first freshwater trout on the flyrod and I had to release it anyway, I would take the thrill and not worry where I caught it. Do you ever feel bad about casting a fly into a school of feeding fish and appreciate the fish any less. I am ready to go again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts