BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally made it out on friday with my new boat to do some real fishing. im pretty new to boating so i double checked everything to make sure it was in the boat. great we got everything here. so we get to the lake and rig everything up under the street light. were ready to go. i back the trailer and boat down into the water and cut it loose off the trailer. i go park the van and when i walk down to the lake my buddy is in a panic. I FORGOT THE DRAIN PLUG!!!! so i run like hell back up to the van get the trailer in the water and the boat back on it and before it was all said and done i had about a foot of water in the boat. it took a good 15 minutes for her to drain back out even with the bilge pump going. after that put in the plug and went back out on the water....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Plug

Merf, you are not alone in that mistake. I would venture to say that almost every boater has done that at least once, including myself! Chalk it up to experience, because you will have many more. Fish on!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Be glad you got that mistake over with early. You'll probably find yourself saying, Don't forget the plug, 10 times at the ramp, every time you go out. I still say it and I've been running boats for 30 years. There's a lot to think about. Now go fish!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I hear everybody does that once -ONCE!!! I haven't done it yet but I guess my time is coming:rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I must confess I did that the first time I took my boat out. Thankfully we realized it before we got the boat off of the trailer. Incidently it was then that I also realized that I also forgot to take the transom tiedown off so we were stuck to the trailer anyhow. :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
bassvamp said:
I hear everybody does that once -ONCE!!! I haven't done it yet but I guess my time is coming:rolleyes:

Ha! to do that just once is a great accomplishment. dont feel alone. i did it 3 times just last year.:eek: and they wernt the only 3 times but im probably the most forgetful person in the world. never actually sunk a boat though;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
i use one of those $2 keychain clips put boat keys and plug both on it.that way you can"t forget its not in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think they sell something that keeps the plug attached with a chain (similar to some car gas caps). So even if you forget to plug it, the plug is attached right next to it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have that chain connected to my plug, now I now right where to feel for the plug when the water is gushing in!:p

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally II said:
Merf, chit happens. Good thing is you will never forget again. So how was the fishing?
didnt catch nada. but it was a good day none the less

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yo Get Some Stickers That Says " Plug In " Thats What I Did. Put One On You Bumper And One On The Back Of The Boat.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
That's Nothing , Wait Till You Get All The Way There A Find Out You Forgot You Ignition Key !

·
Registered
305 Posts
Or say to the wife:
"Back the trailer up some more while I'll hop in, unhook the cable to get the boat off the trailer....."
You get in the boat, start the motor, and say:
"OK, its ready"
She pulls forward:mad:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Bass Blaster said:
Ha! to do that just once is a great accomplishment. dont feel alone. i did it 3 times just last year.:eek: and they wernt the only 3 times but im probably the most forgetful person in the world. never actually sunk a boat though;)
I have left the straps on before and so I wouldn't look like an idiot pulling back up the ramp and unstrapping her I casually looked around grabbed a filet knife and cut her loose:D Luckilly I always had extra straps;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts