BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in trying to catch more trigger fish this year. Specifically in the BB of WWC, WW, SH, AV and SIC.

What do you think about bulk heads, pilings, bridges and sod banks.

How about bait, clam?

When do you think they will start? and which is the best month Jun, Jul, Aug?

I know I want to go with Dan from Insomniac this year. I spent all of my fishing money offshore last year until my son got really sea sick 30 miles out.

We caught a couple a couple miles out off cape may last summer and they were a blast and good eating.

I think i got the rig figured out.
:wave:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
In late summer I find big schools of them on small pieces of structure within a couple miles of the beach. They absolutly will eat anything but squid or small octupus are the best. You can buy packages of small baby octupus at asian markets. It is vert tough and here in Florida we can catch 5 or 6 on the same piece of bait before we loose it. A standard two hook chicken rig is the way to go. After experimenting with a variety of hooks I found the weird looking sycle hooks to be the best. No 4 or 5. They have such a needle sharp point if you get a bite you hook up and they are easily and quikly removed by hand. Note that when you bring one trigger up to the top the rest of the school follows so have someone else drop a bait down next to the fish you have hooked and youll probably catch another. Down here if Florida Triggers run huge. One fish can feed four people. Double headers are common. In deeper water of 80 feet down here we find the triggers suspended about 1/2 way up over structure. To clean them I figured out you can take a narrow filet knife and slip it through the anus across to the other side and take the back half of the filet off with one quik move.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I caught a bunch in the back bay behind SIC last year while tog fishing. Green grab was the ticket. All of them were caught during a full tide and the bite was very different. More of a pull than a tap.

Caught them all around rocks and pilings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Easy to catch...they love clam....look for underwater structure like rocks etc...use the rig outlined above, and be ready for the take...tap tap pull...set it!..off to the races.....water seems to be at least 65 or so...and clean.....I catch tons of them....use light tackle to max fun....all mine are off the beach so to speak....try stufffing a coupla fillets with crabmeat stuffing....mind blowingly good

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I was interested in trying to catch more trigger fish this year. Specifically in the BB of WWC, WW, SH, AV and SIC.

What do you think about bulk heads, pilings, bridges and sod banks.

How about bait, clam?

When do you think they will start? and which is the best month Jun, Jul, Aug?

I know I want to go with Dan from Insomniac this year. I spent all of my fishing money offshore last year until my son got really sea sick 30 miles out.

We caught a couple a couple miles out off cape may last summer and they were a blast and good eating.

I think i got the rig figured out.
:wave:

Triggers in the backwater is a little different than out front...some good suggestions about the where in the thread. Usally we will get a few fish here and there when togging unless we find a small school of them. Out fron they will take over a piece.... In the back I'd stick with small crabs like asain shore crabs to keep the junkfish away that eat clam like dink seabass. Good luck..we want reports!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts