BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I ask this question. What works on trim tabs to keep the grass off? I have tried nearly every type of paint, spray etc. out there over the years. Nothing seems to work to keep the seaweed grass from growing on my tabs. No problems with barnacles at all. Getting tired of prepping the trim tabs bare every year doing the clean, sand, prime and paint process only to have the same end result. Any ideas?

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Every year I ask this question. What works on trim tabs to keep the grass off? I have tried nearly every type of paint, spray etc. out there over the years. Nothing seems to work to keep the seaweed grass from growing on my tabs. No problems with barnacles at all. Getting tired of prepping the trim tabs bare every year doing the clean, sand, prime and paint process only to have the same end result. Any ideas?
I've had the same issue and same result. Unfortunately the only solution I have found is a boat lift :huh:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Use the boat more. hit with a brush occasionally, power wash at end of season. Get in and scrub in the water. The spots that really matter arent that bad from use so dont worry about it. I just paint and presure wash at end. Hit with brush sometimes.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
I've got a similar problem, Kevin. Can't keep the barnacles off, or the paint on.

Inter-protect 2000, and then Pacifica plus.

·
Vendor
951 Posts
Propspeed works well but is costly choice. Next alternative would be Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier. We have had good results with Pettit Hydrocoat on the bottom and on transducers but have not tried it on tabs yet. Going to give it a try it this year.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Most trim tabs are made of Stainless Steel and do not need special paint as many people think. Grind the tabs down to bare metal with a SS grinding wheel, enough to be able to grab the tab with your fingernails. If you cannot grab it or if it is shiny metal it is not ready. Many people make them shiny and smooth and the paint and primer will not adhere. Next apply two coats of Interlux Interprotect with the first coat thinned our 25% with 2333 solvent. After the Interprotect apply 2 coats of what ever bottom paint you normally use. We did this 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since and we recommend this application to all our customers as does Interlux.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Most trim tabs are made of Stainless Steel and do not need special paint as many people think. Grind the tabs down to bare metal with a SS grinding wheel, enough to be able to grab the tab with your fingernails. If you cannot grab it or if it is shiny metal it is not ready. Many people make them shiny and smooth and the paint and primer will not adhere. Next apply two coats of Interlux Interprotect with the first coat thinned our 25% with 2333 solvent. After the Interprotect apply 2 coats of what ever bottom paint you normally use. We did this 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since and we recommend this application to all our customers as does Interlux.
What's a SS grinding wheel? Is it a just a rough grit, like 24 or 36?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts