BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... went to fill the boat for a trip the next day and noticed the power trim/tilt wasn't working. No click nothing (Optimax 225). checked back on the outboard control and could hear a slight hiss the first time i pressed the lower button. I had my fingers crossed it was just a solenoid. Marina looked at it and said there was a leak and recommended a whole new motor the price was $1800 including 4 hours labor. This seemed a little high, I had it done years back on a blackmax 150 for ~$800. Does this seem high?

·
Registered
694 Posts
go to mercury marine's website and look up the part. $1800 sounds more like the complete assembly. If it is only the motor, you could probably do that yourself as long as you can get access to the screw in the back.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Probably not a bad price for a marina. I just did my 2 ox66 225’s. Got used assembly’s on eBay for $700 each and took me a couple hours.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I'd try and source out the motor and do it yourself. Will save you $$, and you'll gain valuable experience on the system to help you in the future. You most likely can find a YouTube video showing exactly how to do it too.

Reactions: Hardtop

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My friend has a Merc 225 and his tilt trim failed.
Marina quoted him 2900. I'm assuming he was going to
replace the whole assembly.
I bought and installed a new trim motor for $75.
Couple hours of work and it works fine.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Man I replaced the motor on mine several times, was about $100 for the motor and takes less that an hour to change it, more like 20 minutes. I have an optimax and can help you diagnose it if you want.

Does not motor spin when you attempt to trim it or is there nothing?
f it does spin and no movement then you might be low on fluid or it is leaking by the release valve maybe.

What your is your motor and what power?

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Call tuckerton marine, I was there today and he has several used ones in his yard, might get one cheap from him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts