BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever try this or heard of this? My dad was telling me that he talked to an older guy who says he gets some of his biggest fluke by trolling 2 ounce bucktails in the channels of the bay using as many as five lines. I would imagine having to use light line to get the bait down there and also many other factors. He also said that you need to use a 2 stroke engine to be able to go slow enough. If anybody has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated because it would be perfect to try in our smaller boat, a 15' Boston Whaler dauntless with 70hp 2 stroke yami.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Never trolled for them, but after an experience we had in OC, NJ, I could see it working. We fished the Rainbow Channel(?) in OC a couple years ago around dusk and cast bucktails with a Killifish teaser. The flounder were coming up from six feet to smack the bucktails just below the surface. It was the first time I had seen that kind of aggression from a flounder and it was amazing to watch. Those fish were really pissed off.

Fred

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It works great! The best time to try it is when you have wind against tide or dead slack with no wind. The whole idea is to keep your boat moving slowly.
You will need to add some more weight & a little more scope to your line.

Last year we did it & it paid off with a second place in a local tournament.
We were power drifting among other boats & we were the only boat catching flounder.

It helps if you hold your rod 90 degrees off the side of the boat. When you feel the extra weight, drop your rod back to put slack into the line. This will give the flounder time to work up to the hook (strip baits). When the line comes tight, just lift your rod & start winding.

The deeper you fish, the more difficult it is but it depends on wind & current.

Try bumping your engine in & out of gear to slow your drift. It works better with a smaller boat in shallow water. To control your drift even more, try trolling in reverse. The boat moves even slower. I've got a large boat & sometimes I'll trow a 5 gallon (tied off) bucket overboard. If that doesn't slow you down enough, try a drift sock .

Just a word of caution - its work for the captain & many people don't like trolling for flounder. The day we won the tournament my buddy was still complaining after he caught his personal best!

We did it once in a 13' rental behind margate & came back with a cooler full of weakies & flounder. Other boats saw what we were doing & tried to duplicate us, but the bigger the boat, the tougher it is to control your speed.

Hope this helps.
George

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Trolling is the best way to catch big back bay fluke...for many many years this was the only way I fish for fluke...a 16 ft lowe with a 25 horse motor at idle speed INTO the current...I would use 4 to 8 oz of led to stay sraight down as I could...id watch my finder and follow the water the fish were in, didnt need the wind for a drift because I was creating my own where I wanted and how fast....use a dropper loop of around 10 inches and a 4ft leader..various rigs were used and with trolling I had good resistance on big blades and long baits so they would spin and act the way fluke like..my bait was acting right and in the strike zone 100 percent of the time....I would troll forward with up to 8 poles out,if I had a partner up front.my boat is tricked out with 11 adjustable rod holders....your motor will go a little too fast forward..I would try it in reverse and with less poles until you get the hang of it..it isnt as easy as it sounds and it isnt for everyone...but it is the most productive way to catch fluke in the backwater...downside to trolling, going into the current during legal fluke season you will pick up more grass this way than drifting...april is the best month for trolling with less grass but it is closed and this is why I dont do it anymore.....

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
oh, yes it works. the first time I saw someone doing it was in 1977 behind Beach Haven. he had a 16 ft MFG trihull and he was trolling backwards with 4 rods laid out in the bow. I asked him how well it worked. He showed me not one but 4 full igloo coolers of flounder!!! of course that was before any limits.
one of the keys is absence of grass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trolling for fluke

40 years ago trolling was my primary fluke technique. Got started by watching an old timer in an aqua inboard garvey trolling in wierd irregular patterns. Then I realized he was trolling along the edge of sandbars perpendicular to the current as it washed over the bar. Fluke line up just off the bar waiting for what washes over the bar and with this method you spend more time in fish rich water. Back then there was no size of bag limit and used to regularly get 50 to 60 fluke in a couple of hours. I had a big freezer and we ate fluke 2 to 3 times a week all year. I don't think the part about needing a 2 stroke engine is accurate, back then I had a 14 ft tin boat with a 20 hp johnson and I remember I had to buy the OMC brand two stroke oil and change the plugs frequently to get the engine to fun slow enough. I can go just as slow with my 18 ft grady and the 115 hp 4 stroke yamaha and I can go even slower with my 16 ft jon boat with the 10 hp 4 stroke honda.
I don't troll as much today because I seem to catch smaller fish trolling but that just might be the area I am fishing. even with all the methods I use I catch loads of fluke frequently get 100 fish days but my keeper ratio is much smaller that what most other people report I am usually between 1 in 20 to 1 in 30 keepers.

When trolling I usually use strip baid and a killie. When I can get them I use long shank hooks with a small hook soldered near the eye. Hooke the top of the strip on the small hook and about middle of strip on the big hook with about 1/2 the strip able to flutter.

Spend most of my effort fishing within a mile of
barnegat lighthouse usually less than 10 ft deep

·
Registered
430 Posts
trolling

fred "chunking " did a show on it many years back......i think he was trolling with rattle traps and catching flounde,weakies and blues. maybe we can get him to chime in and recall the show.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I do it just about every flounder trip in the del bay.....only when current is slacked though.....my 250 yami don't like it much but it catches fish at slack by bumping in and out of gear to keep the bait moving....

also do it some when its wind against tide and drift sock isn't helping....
Think I need a bigger sock...

it works but it also uses up gas......Thinking about putting a small 5-10 hp kicker on her....

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I do it just about every flounder trip in the del bay.....only when current is slacked though.....my 250 yami don't like it much but it catches fish at slack by bumping in and out of gear to keep the bait moving....
I would consider that power drifting, more than trolling

We were trolling stretches and bombers one time out front for stripers, and hooked a big fluke. Of course, it was out of season and had to get tossed back :mad:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Anybody ever try this or heard of this? My dad was telling me that he talked to an older guy who says he gets some of his biggest fluke by trolling 2 ounce bucktails in the channels of the bay using as many as five lines. I would imagine having to use light line to get the bait down there and also many other factors. He also said that you need to use a 2 stroke engine to be able to go slow enough. If anybody has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated because it would be perfect to try in our smaller boat, a 15' Boston Whaler dauntless with 70hp 2 stroke yami.

Thanks,
John

There is a guy in the Fishhawks fishing club that does this. He trolls from Toms River to BB and then back and comes home with some of the biggest fluke around. Uses and eight oz weight and four foot leader and and troll very slow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anyone that knows me knows my engine never shuts off. Spring into mid summer in the back bays. Been doing it for many many years. Have a 16ft Carolina Skiff with 9.9hp 2 stroke tiler outboard. Never going to win many races but it does get me where I want to go lol. Also have a 25hp motor but can't get the speed control required at times so use the 9.9hp. Keep buoy's in the boat. Once you locate the fish throw the buoy over and continue to work that area. When drifting you spend to much time over areas not holding fish. Boat control is key. Very rarely fish in the fleet. It does take quite a bit of practice particually if you have other people in the boat with you and trying to keep lines out of the prop :D. Allows you to fish the skinny water where most people wouldn't even venture to go. Bring on Spring!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
A few years ago there was a guy who would troll between the rio grande bridge and the old railroad bridge and he used small planers. He might still be around. Fu had a good show a few years ago trolling the same area---his biggest catch was a boat driven by an as$ hole who gave him no room.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
A few years ago there was a guy who would troll between the rio grande bridge and the old railroad bridge and he used small planers. He might still be around. Fu had a good show a few years ago trolling the same area---his biggest catch was a boat driven by an as$ hole who gave him no room.
First time I've ever heard a spinning reel whine louder than a turbo!:eek:
FWIW, doing the math:
assuming a 1 inch diameter spool and the boat was traveling 25 mph, the spool would be spinning about 8,000+ RPM!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
8 oz weights???

You guys are blowing my mind right now! Loving these past couple of flounder threads......

Help me out with the weights. So when trolling in the back bay, use weights as heavy as 8 oz??? Why so heavy?

Here's another quick question....I feel like grass shrimp and little crabs are always inside of the monster flounder we catch. So why are we using minnows and strip baits???

Only been in the flounder game for about 5 years and I am literally starting to keep a notebook with all this good stuff! Keep 'em coming!!!! :bow:

·
Registered
528 Posts
You guys are blowing my mind right now! Loving these past couple of flounder threads......

Help me out with the weights. So when trolling in the back bay, use weights as heavy as 8 oz??? Why so heavy?

Here's another quick question....I feel like grass shrimp and little crabs are always inside of the monster flounder we catch. So why are we using minnows and strip baits???

Only been in the flounder game for about 5 years and I am literally starting to keep a notebook with all this good stuff! Keep 'em coming!!!! :bow:

Most times you are fishing anywhere from 2-10 ft of water hitting the cuts off the sand bars or dredges. 2-4 ounces max and any heaver then that I head to the barn.

As many have already stated I can remember the days when catching 150-200 fish between two people in the morning was the norm. Today you can still catch high numbers of fish but I can say the quality of the fish today is much better then years back. Haven't put quite those types of numbers together in years but still feel I outfish the drifters?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I seem to remember the 3 blue boats coming out of Oyster Creek years ago used to troll in Great Bay Inlet many years ago. They used sea anchors to slow their drifts also. They were very famous in the area for their results.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I troll in the Manasquan River quite a bit, I have used a bunch of different baits and rigs with much success. One of my favorite rigs for this is super simple. Use enough weight to hold bottom, use about a 4 foot leader and the biggest Killies you can find. Works on everything.

I also had a family friend who used to troll exclusively. He used a tandem hook rig with spearing. He always used a heavy sinker. His theory was the heavy sinker bouncing off the bottom would stir the fish from the bottom.

Power drifting works great out in the ocean when there is no drift.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I can see theory, and even if it is effective as hell, there are a zillion things I would rather do than catch back bay fluke dragging an 8 oz hunk of lead.....

RyanF

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I can see theory, and even if it is effective as hell, there are a zillion things I would rather do than catch back bay fluke dragging an 8 oz hunk of lead.....

RyanF
I agree with the above, but would counter with this........

If you're going to tell me that after fluking for 8 hours and coming up with nothing but shorts and an empty cooler, that I can troll with 8oz weights for a little while and then come home with dinner, then that's an option I may need to give serious consideration to moving forward.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts