BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It works all over the globe but no one in the noreast (atleast i do not think) Have ever stopped inshore at like the ridges to get bonito and stuff for offshore trolling and trolled the live offshore..

anyone try this ever?!? I am doing it this year hell or high water!

Got to order the tuna tubes!!

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
We have used many varieties of livies on tuna most have worked well tried a 7lb Bonito on a cruising blue marlin it died so gave up on it went to strip that worked! Of couse sharking live bait is magic!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugly what you guys use? not the chunk the troll i am talkin about. thanks

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you examine why live bait trolling works, you'll see that live bait trolling works in specific locations with significant structure. Now, before you start telling me that the Hudson Canyon is significant, hear me out.

Should you take the time to read Bart Miller on live baiting marlin and tuna in Hawaii (not his lure-making work), you'll see that they pulled live baits around specific edges and fish-aggregating devices (FADs).

Should you look at the Great Barrier Reef fishery (Sherer - help me out here), trolling Ribbon Reef No. 9 is trolling a specific place (or set of places), much like we would troll around a small inshore lump or reef for sharks or tunas.

Should you look at live-baiting sailfish in the Keys (not flying kites up the coast), you'll see that they are fishing specific breaks in the reef, or current edges, where fish are congregated.

Should you look at live-bait king mackerel fishing, those guys run at high speeds to pull baits around small secret spots, before speeding off to another one (run & gun).

Because the offshore canyons are so deep and so large, one needs to troll at higher speeds to locate fish, then they can slow down. However, with tuna as the primary target, and given their prediliction to swim and eat in schools, pulling eight lines at seven knots seems to kill a lot of them, and when you find them trolling, you can do what the west coast fleet does and throw live baits at them (amazingly also over distant deep water structure).

You could pull live bonita around pots at the Tip of the Baltimore all day and you'd probably catch as many dolphin as you would throwing bucktails at pots.

Trolling live baits inshore on sharp edges for bluefins, makos and threshers seems like a more logical use of this structure-specific technique.

Feedback welcome.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FEEDBACK!!?!?

How about i buy you a beer for the insite!!!?!?!?

Meet you in avalon. LOL

Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If your lucky

And you come across a rather lrge shool of skippies you can bridle a few of them if haha i mean when you hook a few of those and slow troll the outer edges of the school

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A group of guys that fish all together on the boat called Happy Hooker.

We also fish the Beach Haven White Marlin everyyear except for last and this i believ...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
sportfishin- heres a link you might be interested in.....

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86519

We have caught live blues at the ridge, thrown them in the well,and ran out to 750.........

Bridled them and put one (on a downrigger ) at the thermocline and another weighted up top ...............Just 2 50 tw's...........and slow-trolled the area....Lookin for Makos

No luck yet........but will do it again this year!!!!!!!!!!! I just KNOW one is going to catch soon;)

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah stew... This is vinnie the young guy that fished with him. lol

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
"the young guy" yea yea:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am the young guy.. only 24yo. lol consider myself young. lol

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
heh ill be 21 soon :cool:

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See and i thought i was young... dont forget that show tomorrow man! get me anything you can.. will give you the money if you get me anything!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
send me detailed info on what you want and ill look around like i said i dont really know the good vs bad on offshore gear/tackle i dont wanna get you crappy stuff

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crappy works too. lol

I need islander trackers and stuff like that... They are metal heads with hairy skirts. lol

Make sure the skirts are not kinked, matted, or knotted, should be able to run fingers thru them...

also any big eye tuna clones work too!

pics to follow!!!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
like this is different colors

or any of these...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
i gotcha ill keep my eyes open whats a good price for these?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts