BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Perchead, I was out friday trolling in the Mullica and did very well. I have fished this river for years and swear by a few lures that produce consistantly, some techniques vary but they are all basic in the trolling discipline. For water of 10 feet or less I like yo-zuri crystal minnows 5 1/4" floating in black/silver or the brown/silver, bombers,rebels,megabaits of this same size will also work well. To get a little deeper without going to weights or a deep-diver plug try something like a rapala magnum or a plug with a little more lip to it. Mann's stretch 20 and 25 lures are my top producing lures in the river, try to run them right on the bottom around some humps and ledges, got a 27lber last fall under about 15 boats that were eeling ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I run out of Chestnut neck and have thought about trolling the river, but haven't done it yet with any conviction. I know the areas from the mouth to Swan bay, but how far up river is it worth going in the fall?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MullicaBob do you do more of your trolling at night or day. I had them pretty good on dark 5 inch tsunami swimmers no keepers but that was night. Thanks for the mention on stretch lures I was curious about them in the river what color you prefer.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
In regards to how far to go up river in the fall, I have caught stripers as far up as the Lower Bank bridge but I won't go much past Swan Bay unless I see something worth investigating like bait, cooler water or warmer water things like that. I troll mostly during the day only because I have a favorite night spot for casting, the night troll has been good to me over the years and is great on a full moon ,outgoing tides preferred. Colors on the Stretch lures I prefer are black/silver, blue/silver and my favorite chartruese. I ran some peanut bunker friday as well and got them chopped up by very small blues that were hanging out up the river. With the weather forcast this weekend the river is a good place to be :eek:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mullica Bob,

I run the older 21 foot whaler with the customized wood work. We will have hook up some time for a trip. I haven't trolled the river much as I have a favorite spot as well that I had consistant success with eels and plugs, from slot fish up to 22 lbs. I also got a 22 pounder in the spring on a stretch 25 in LE Inlet, and smaller ones off the beach front. So I know they work. What boat do you run?

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
MyMistress,
I run a 19 foot American Skiff, I would have to say that I troll 80% of the time I fish when in the river. I'd be more than happy to hook up, I fish just about every friday and when it gets real good I'll squeeze in an extra day. Check out my report for the Mullica 10/7 in this forum, it was better last friday! :confused:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mullica Bob,

I am taking Friday's off now through November. Let me know if you are interested in meeting up this coming Friday. Your boat or mine, doesn't matter to me. Email me at [email protected] and we can get contact numbers and keep in touch. I read the report. Lots of small fish around, the biggers ones will get active after this front moves through and it cools off a bit more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.