BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Next question. The boat we are in the works of getting is trolling motorless. Was lookin for your input on recommendations for a 17ft grizzly tracker sc. We'd like to get something obviously mounted w/ a foot control and trying to not put a hurtin' on the wallet. Anythin will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree w/ Kdiggs. Nothing less than 24 volt or your run the risk of burning up your batterey ontop of not having the power to really pull you. My suggestion is Minnkota. You won't ever have to change motors. The Maxxum 80lbs thrust Minnkota is a durable & powerful motor.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well let me ask you guys this too, when you're out fishing, what speed do you normally fish on? Me being someone that likes to fish slow, would it have an effect on what motor I should purchase? What I'm getting at is could I get away with a 40lb thrust vs. 52lb-70lb thrust?

·
Registered
238 Posts
a 40 is ok for a 10-12' john. The 17ft griz is a bad *** boat and should be powered properly. The 40 will be tough in any wind over 10mph. You will thank me later. Buck up buckaroo:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Ryan, let me save you time and money, my boat came with a 12v 40lb minnkota...upgraded to 55lbs...I now have an 80lb..nuff said:D'

I have a 17' lowe w/a 70hp evinrude..not a big boat at all..and the 12v just wasn't enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Definitely worth getting the minn-kota maxxum 80 pro if you can. Plenty of power to fight winds and get through some heavy weeds. I got the universal sonar which is great since you don't have to worry about securing the depthfinder transducer. Remember, especially at lower speeds a 24 volt system will last much longer than a 12 volt system.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
i have a 17 ft tracker tx with a 54 lb thrust .. its ok could use a little more but i am happy with it

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys I appreciate it :thumbsup: We'll figure it out. Still have plenty of time to figure out what to get since she prob won't hit the water til I get home from school for the summer. But still, ddefinitely somethin we're lookin' forward to!

Another thing too is is that I won't be really fishing any huge bodies of water. Biggest being Union so I guess I should have mentioned thats the only place of any concern since we obviously can't use the 50hp merc. It'll be Parvin, Menantico, Sunset, Mary Elmer, Giampetro, Alloway, Audrey etc etc. Nothing huge minus Union. But again, thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Ryan, it doesn't matter how big the place is. After using the trolling motor all day in windy conditions, a 12v system on a bigger boat like that is going to get old real quick. Just my .02...I've been there, done that, and I upgraded to an 80lb fortrex and haven't looked back.

If you need help wiring the 24v system let me know, it's not hard at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also as a safety factor its worth getting the higher thrust (24v) system. Last year I got caught in two situations where the winds got real bad and gusted between 40-50 mph (electric only lakes) - not to mention some big waves for lakes under 100 acres. Sure glad I had the extra power to navigate safely against the wind without being blown out of control.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
:D My 16' Tracker has a 12 volt 54lb MG. I have two batteries in parallel and rarely do I have a problem in the wind. But if I do I just use my 54lb transom motor(controlled in the front with a foot switch) in conjunction with the front trolling motor so I have a combined thrust of 108lbs.

If I were fishing big waters most of the time then I would definitely upgrade to a 24V system.

·
Registered
238 Posts
:D My 16' Tracker has a 12 volt 54lb MG. I have two batteries in parallel and rarely do I have a problem in the wind. But if I do I just use my 54lb transom motor(controlled in the front with a foot switch) in conjunction with the front trolling motor so I have a combined thrust of 108lbs.

If I were fishing big waters most of the time then I would definitely upgrade to a 24V system.
hey joe what do you mean by parallel? my guess is so you can jump from one to the other if one srarts to die out?:huh:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Keith, you can wire 2 12v batteries together (pos. of bat. 1 to pos. of batter 2 and neg. of battery 1 to neg of bat. 2) and you'll get more time without having to switch batteries.

I would just rather have a 24v system and be done w/it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts