BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im starting to get into trolling. seems to be an effective way to catch fish. i just got a 7'6" heavy action rod with a penn 209m levelwind. i like to use power pro on my other reels for casting plugs etc. is pp ok for trolling? how much backing do i need? leaders? swivels? knots? baits & lures? i've been looking at those heavy spoons with the tube on the end. they look like they could do some damage

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Welcome to TBB.

What do you intend to troll for and where?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Like Chunking said. "What" and "Where" have a lot to do with it as does the range and capabilities of your boat. If your handle means that you have a 17' Whaler then you'll be inshore. Then you can target bluefish, false albecore, and bonito on the trol. For these species you don't need or want any heavy stuff. For the blues you can use almost any piece of metal you want or a small cedar plug. Keep it light because most bluefish these days are 2 lbs on average, the slamers are usually 30+miles offshore. For false albies or bonito, small feathears will do the trick. And of course a silver spoon will catch anything that swims.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I troll for stripers out of Great Egg in the fall. I find the fish toward the bottom of the water column. Then when I troll, I use wire line or a downrigger most times. If you can not present your lure where the fish are, you are not going to catch.

Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
Saltshaker

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Power Pro is great for trolling for bass. I dumped most of my wire outfits and now go with braid. With plugs like stretch 25's it'll get just about as deep as wire, especially if you boat can go real slow. With other stuff like umbrella rigs you'll have to add some weight to get down as deep as wire but not nearly as much as with mono.

Wire is definitely the most effective way to get deep, I just get bored of cranking in 200 feet of dead weight on big reels. With braid I can use much lighter tackle and actually feel the fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.