BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the guys trolling for bass in the Chesapeake. A buddy of mine was just out fishing with a friend of his and told me how they were fishing and it seemed strange to me at least compared to how its done in NJ. He said they were trolling 12 lines with planer boards every rod with a storm shad type jig on the end of straight mono line the only weight being the jig head itself. He said they were big but i didnt get a weight or length of the swim shads. Either way I am curious how they could possibly be getting there lines deep enough because he said they were marking fish deeper. Also it is just me or does a 12 rod spread for stripers seem a little overkill? Wouldnt four or even 6 rods with stretch 25's, bunker spoon, or umbrella rigs do the trick? Again I know people fish completely different from north to south so i'm just hoping someone can enlighten me. Needless to say they didnt catch anything. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a question for the guys trolling for bass in the Chesapeake. A buddy of mine was just out fishing with a friend of his and told me how they were fishing and it seemed strange to me at least compared to how its done in NJ. He said they were trolling 12 lines with planer boards every rod with a storm shad type jig on the end of straight mono line the only weight being the jig head itself. He said they were big but i didnt get a weight or length of the swim shads. Either way I am curious how they could possibly be getting there lines deep enough because he said they were marking fish deeper. Also it is just me or does a 12 rod spread for stripers seem a little overkill? Wouldnt four or even 6 rods with stretch 25's, bunker spoon, or umbrella rigs do the trick? Again I know people fish completely different from north to south so i'm just hoping someone can enlighten me. Needless to say they didnt catch anything. Thanks Guys
2 hooks per line in the chesapeake. That's why you don't see the big umbrellas. I'm not sure why you don't see bunker spoons used. The big shad rigs are usually mojo rigs and have a lot of weight. Like 16 ounces and ( and two are usually fished per line, one big one small). It gets it down

·
Registered
144 Posts
most people in the chesapeake use umbrellas,,, Im not sure why you are saying you dont see them in the chesapeake ? they are everywhere in the chesapeake... the 2nd most popluar is the tandem rigs. and then i guess just a variety of personal choice after that..
The spring fish usually arent as deep but if you want the rigs to go down then we use inline weights to make them go down deeper , which is more prevelant in the fall run when the fish hold the bottom more often...also dont forget that the current is much calmer in the chesapeake then in the delaware bay so it doesnt take near the weight to go to the bottom... Ex. IN june when i am live lining spot , i use only a 2oz weight which does hold bottom..
the more rods you can run with planer boards, the better your chances of catching a fish,, so thats why people run so many lines.. You can cover alot of water with planer boards having some lines say 25' down and others 60' down as an example.... I have seen boats with up to 18 lines out

·
Registered
319 Posts
They run umbrellas in MD, but they are different than what is used up north. They are smaller with fewer arms that hang hookless teasers, then the one hooked bait as a trailer. They run a lot of heavy tandems at various lengths/depths. They are big on Accetta spoons down here, not sure why exactly, but I bet bunker spoons would work well too.
They use planer boards to get more at-bats and get a greater variety of presentations, not my favorite way to fish, but it's definitely effective.
Flip it around, you may not want to run planer boards in NJ, but I bet tandem mojos would work well up there and you don't see a lot of guys doing that. It's surprising how regional the fishing approaches for the same fish can be (tube & worm trolling in Mass. for example), I think there's a lot to learn all around.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
12 rods is different: we troll 22

Scott,I fish Cape May & Chesapeake.use umbrellas & tandeums.Umbrellas have drails up to 16 oz. & we us braid off the gunnells.This year brought down some 9ers umbrella rigs & have been doing well.13 - 6" shad w/ 1 trailers w/ hood.we troll spoons also.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use umbrellas for my deep rigs as they make for a larger presentation in the lower visibility waters of the Chesapeake. I prefer not to use them as they are a lot of drag on a line. Most my lures are run shallow off of planer boards. I run tandem and solo parachutes with 9" swim shads on them. Hot baits this spring have been my light 3-6oz solo parachutes.

I will occasionally pull a spoon or a stretch but they do not produce like the parachutes and bucktails with swim shads. They track more true too which help in pulling many lines.

12 rod spread may be over kill in the ocean where the fish are highly schooled up. However things are vastly different on the Chesapeake. I run 15 rods on my charters with planer boards looking for sporadic fish. Occasionally we will have multiple hook ups but they are not the norm. I have never had more than 4 fish on at once despite pulling 15 rods. This is unlike trolling the ocean where you go through a pod of fish and 4 of 4 rods can go down at once. Keep in mind that we have a 1 fish over 28" creel per person per trip on the Chesapeake too.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow guys thanks I have definitely learned alot after hearing what all of you have to say. It is amazing how different people fish for the same fish from region to region. I just figured running that many lines would be such a headache but I guess that your searching for fish over a larger area and I didnt realize but its good to know now thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
207 Posts
They run umbrellas in MD, but they are different than what is used up north. They are smaller with fewer arms that hang hookless teasers, then the one hooked bait as a trailer. They run a lot of heavy tandems at various lengths/depths. They are big on Accetta spoons down here, not sure why exactly, but I bet bunker spoons would work well too.
They use planer boards to get more at-bats and get a greater variety of presentations, not my favorite way to fish, but it's definitely effective.
Flip it around, you may not want to run planer boards in NJ, but I bet tandem mojos would work well up there and you don't see a lot of guys doing that. It's surprising how regional the fishing approaches for the same fish can be (tube & worm trolling in Mass. for example), I think there's a lot to learn all around.
Sorry for not being specific. That's what I meant re umbrellasBella's .. I've understood the main strategy in running so many rods is to get more hooks in the water (considering the hook limit). In Nj if ur dragging umbrellas in fall it's not uncommon to have 3 bass or blues on each rod. Not really practical/necessary to fish more than 2-3 rods

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow guys thanks I have definitely learned alot after hearing what all of you have to say. It is amazing how different people fish for the same fish from region to region. I just figured running that many lines would be such a headache but I guess that your searching for fish over a larger area and I didnt realize but its good to know now thanks everyone for your input!
i have always found that kinda strange as well... and in lower chesapeake bay by the bay bridge tunnel they mainly troll with live eels on bobbers,, in the fall anyway, not sure about the spring, i know eels are illegal in MD. in the spring...NOT sure about VA. ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
B-faithful - curious to hear your thoughts on why the stripers don't bunch up in pods in the chesapeake like they do in the ocean - do you think it's because there are fewer or no predators so they can spread out? Or are the baitfish patterns just different?

·
Registered
429 Posts
B-faithful - curious to hear your thoughts on why the stripers don't bunch up in pods in the chesapeake like they do in the ocean - do you think it's because there are fewer or no predators so they can spread out? Or are the baitfish patterns just different?
I think in the spring that they have one thing on their mind. Get in, spawn, and get back out to the ocean. They just feed on the bait along the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.