BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I would like to start trolling umbrella rigs and I need some pointers. I was looking at the 9'ers brand 4 and 6-inch versions. Anyone have any opinions about these rigs? Do you troll them with or without drails. I will most likely be either using mono or braid with my rigs. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 9'er rigs look totally awesome, but I have not used them. They are probably heavy enough so that if you are not in deep water that you may be able to get them down to where the fish are with mono. However, I would use braid with a long flurocarbon leader. Don't forget a swivel to avoid line twist. The small diameter of the braid combined with the weight of the rig and a slow moving boat should get you down plenty deep. I think you will need a drail to get down more than 30 feet.

I have only been trolling for a few years so some more experienced people may offer some better advice, but I think I am pretty close on this.

Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
umbrella's

I use them on heavy rods off of down riggers, sometimes a ball and sometimes a z-wing.
My center umbrella spot has a release clip and I run my lighter rod to it, from a smaller spinning rod, so when you get a strike, you do not need to wind in the umbrella.
It takes a little practice putting it in and out but I do not care for having to reel the fish and umbrella in, on the same rod

·
Registered
33 Posts
I picked up a couple of the 6" shad 9er rigs in pearl and chartruse glitter and they look like they are nicely made. I really like the way the rigs store in the tubes they come in. I was wondering if its best to change out the shad trailer for something like a small spoon (drone,pet,etc) or maybe just change the color.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I've been using them for two years. To me they seem to work better in the fall. I think stretches work better in the spring. I use to use wire but, this year I'm going to run them on my braid set ups. I think you'll need a drail to get it down deep but shallow water I don't think you'll need one.

You'll love them, they will put a lot of fish in the boat. We've had three fish on on rig more them once.

Don C

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have fished umbrella rigs for over 40 years when they were first popular off Montauk in the 60's- back then it was common to hook up 2-3 linesiders or blues at once on a rig- my Dad caught 3 blues once when I was a kid- 20, 18 an 15 pound! I like using monel wire on 4/0 Senator's with 6-8' of 60lb fluorocarbon leaders- best luck have been on chartreuse, red and white tubes with a larger tube or shad down the middle trailing 2' behind the other tubes. If the rig isn't near the bottom, blues will rip them apart. I troll <3 knots and get the rigs as close to the bottom as possible- works most days for me- good luck!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not sure if I can post this or not, but I have been in Harry's Army/Navy in Hamilton, NJ several times when their "lure" maker has come in. He makes some awesome umbrella's. You should check them out if you are any where in that area. Ask for Sean or Eric.

I have this guy making me a custom "herring" teaser. Great strips.

Frank

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
reelazy said:
I picked up a couple of the 6" shad 9er rigs in pearl and chartruse glitter and they look like they are nicely made. I really like the way the rigs store in the tubes they come in. I was wondering if its best to change out the shad trailer for something like a small spoon (drone,pet,etc) or maybe just change the color.

If you change the color to a light color it will turn chartruse from the other shads in time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
on the bottom, shads for stripers, tubes for both

title says it all. when blues mix in, even with your rig on the bottom, they'll find it & tear up your shads (so use tubes). & just do what you gotta do to stay on/near the bottom. you'll see the rod bouncing when the rig scrapes the bottom, then you reel in a bit (and watch your depth on fishfinder). & have a little bit of a plan (try different depths, approaches, edges) & pay attention to what works (and repeat it). use the MOB to mark strikes and fish you see on the finder..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a good selection of then 9s rig and use them with braid line. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I always use drails, I troll 2 rods with umbrella rigs, 50# power pro, 20 feet of 50# flurocarbon leader, and a stretch 25 down the center. Always use a 6 oz drail sometimes a little heavier 8 or 10 oz.

·
Registered
167 Posts
easiest way to get the rig in the water w/o tangling is to swing it in. the fisherman had an article about it last season some time. basically swing the rig into the water in the direction you're heading.. reel it in a bit keeping it in the water and make sure there are no tangles. then drop it down nice and easy to prevent tangling on the way down.

personally had lots of luck in the fall with them, but typically don't fish them in the spring. that could be a mistake, I don't know

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I am used to trolling the stretches in the spring, however, i thought that the umbrella rig was also a spring thing. If you had to pick either the 6 or 4 inch versions which would you go with?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
bucktailer2110 said:
Guys, I would like to start trolling umbrella rigs and I need some pointers. I was looking at the 9'ers brand 4 and 6-inch versions. Anyone have any opinions about these rigs? Do you troll them with or without drails. I will most likely be either using mono or braid with my rigs. Thanks.
I picked up a 9'ers at the boat show @ Javitz center. They are great b/c they do not ever tangle, plus they run alot of shads for their relatively small size. I like to use 40 lb mono and maybe a 4-6oz trolling sinker at about 2 knots. You can go faster if you feel so iinclined- it will not mess up the brella's action like it would with a b spoons

go get um

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
umbrella rig release

blackfinjerry said:
I use them on heavy rods off of down riggers, sometimes a ball and sometimes a z-wing.
My center umbrella spot has a release clip and I run my lighter rod to it, from a smaller spinning rod, so when you get a strike, you do not need to wind in the umbrella.
It takes a little practice putting it in and out but I do not care for having to reel the fish and umbrella in, on the same rod
where did you get that umbrella rig?Do you use hookless baits on the other umbrella rig lures?

·
Registered
77,419 Posts
A bump for the 9'ers topic
Thanks Chrome Dome:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts