BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using rapala's last year for trout and had a ball on local streams. I have been using a 6' rod that is pretty stiff. I felt I lost a lot of fish half way in. Maybe the rod was too stiff? What kind of rods do you guys use for small crank baits for trout? :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Might not be your rod, trout are tricky on plugs, they can hit it and you never know sometimes. I do better when i can see the plug and sometimes you see the fish hit.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Depends on how much room you have to cast in the stream and how far of casts you plan on making. I personally would use a 5'6" ML in the more confined creeks and the larger ones where I needed to make longer casts I would use a 6'6" ML or 7' ML. You want something with a soft tip, stiff rods definately arent best.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Right now I use a 6'6" St. Croix ultralight rod that has a relatively slow action but not too slow. If you're just getting the tip to move on a long cast, your rod may be too fast. Before this one, I was partial to 7 footers, and I do miss it sometimes. Really, really slow action rods may be better for bait. Bass guys have recently gone to fiberglass and composites for crankbaits because of the slower action. Same deal with trout, only much smaller scale.

I think hooking a trout on crankbait is not dissimilar to hooking one on a fly, at least for me. Retrieve with the rod pointed at the bait, and just lift the rod when you get a hit, don't really set the hook hard. A longer rod comes in handy for that kind of hook set. If I had a 5 footer, I may have to set the hook harder when a fish hits farther away from me.

One other thing works for me too. Jerk the plug a bit, stop and start, not just a steady retrieve. Trout usually hit the bait stopped when you do this, and the next time you jerk, fish on.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, lots of good info here. ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.