BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me the closest place to capemay,that has some trout fishing,creek,river stream,no pond or lakes.delayed harvest flyfishing only sections preferable but dont really care at this point,i wanna flyfish for some trout and not travel 100 miles to do it,thanks,Vinny

[ 02-03-2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Banned
964 Posts
I saw the topic and thought someone was already thinkin' of weakies... I'll call my cousin, he's a local that's into the freshwater thing... I'm sure he'll know a few spots that aren't too much of a hike.

Ray's down that way too.. I wonder if he digs the clean water?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
From what I know, Ken Lockwood Gorge, South Branch of the Raratan. Ron

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Sparse,shoeB,yes please do.Ray has not fished for trout in fresh water.I really have my jones on,i just have to wet the long rod.also something in the way of fish,would be a treet.I only got to use it less than a doz. times in the salt last year :( ,and also missed our yearly trip to upstate Ny & erie Pa.in Nov :mad: .any info from all would be welcomed :D .Thanks,Vinny

[ 02-04-2004, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
South Branch of the Raritan...from a bit north of Califon down to Clinton including the KLG section....North of Califon is the Claremont stretch.

The Pequest is also excellent, as is the Musketkong, and Big Flatbrook.

For ice and water conditions call Shannons Fly Shop in Califon.

Of course these are over a 100 miles from Cape May..but excellent winter nymphing streams.

If you need more info, give me a holler I routinely fish these streams in the winter..

Phil L

·
Registered
420 Posts
Vinny:

You've a couple here in SE PA just outside of Philly. Ridley Creek, Pickering Creek have Delayed Harvest FFO stretches. Also, there's Valley Creek which has wild fish, and is a no kill, release all fish stream. Also, all other stocked trout streams are open to fishing till the end of this month. Not that familiar with Jersey though my best guess would be some of the streams that flow into the Delaware north of Trenton. Have you thought about checking some of the coastal streams for sea run browns. I know New Jersey has had a stocking program to establish sea run populations in several rivers, just don't know which ones off the top of my head.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Philly,Man Bro.you bring back some great memories.I used to fish them all this time of year,Mostly Valley,when i lived in Manayunk/Wiss.area it was nothing to hop in the truck and be flyfishing for trout in 30-45 min.My cuz Ken aka Cheech,fishes riddly,mostly he is about 5 min from there.I am content with my trade off as now im 2 blocks from the bay,but when winter (cabin fever) sets in,its rough.I really miss those trout this time of year,Vinny P.s.i have checked into the manasquan,were the searun brown trout stockings program is,im a good 2 hrs. drive from there.and not familiar with the area,as to parking access,ive checked out the site also it lists some places to fish for them,but if ya dont know the area,it could be a 2-trip mission,one to hunt for spots to fish,the second to get in some fishing,Really dont feel like a wild goose chase.Now if someone gave me a couple good starting points for the manasquan,with directions.I would love to give it a try!!!!!! on the other hand i could be at valley in 2 hrs.

[ 02-04-2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ok, the south jersey expert is here!!

If you don't want to travel over 100 miles from Cape May for riverine winter trout, you're really limiting yourself. Most everything down here is pond oriented. That's the nature of south jersey. Most rivers/streams down here can't support trout year round. Well, neither can the most of the ponds, but that's what they stock.

The South Branch of the Raritan River/Ken Lockwood Gorge near High Bridge is about 160 miles away from you, give or take a few miles depending on where you start. Bar none that is the closest rock-strewn "real" trout stream, and luckily one of the best in NJ. It's worth the day-trip.

The next good one to try in north jersey is the Musconetcong River, from Hackettstown down to the Delaware. And a little more northward still is the Pequest River, from the hatchery downstream to the Delaware. Both are heavily stocked and can be fished all year. And both are about 10-15 minutes north of the Ken Lockwood area.

If you really feel like travelling, you can hit the Paulinskill River and the Big Flatbrook in Sussex County. It's a long ride, but well worth it. The scenery is spectacular, and in the Water Gap area (for the Flatbrook), it's mainly wild. Don't be surprised if you're fishing next to black bears :eek: . Van Campen's Brook is a good little stream to try for wild trout in the Gap area as well.

There are other trout streams that take skill to fish that are closer to Cape May, but I can't guarantee you'll catch anything this time of year. The upper Maurice in Vineland/Pittsgrove Twp is one, but public access is tough, and I doubt the trout hold over. Although this year the river ran high and cold all season, so there may be a lot left in there. Try where the road crossings are, like the Landis Ave, Almond Rd, and Garden Rd bridges. The springtime is much better there. They also stock the upper Cohansey River, but fly fishing is all but impossible.

The next closest "good" trout stream available for fly fishing is the Toms River at Riverwood Park (get off at Parkway Exit 83). There are good year round populations of trout in there, but you need a Masters Degree in casting if you want to fly fish. That's one reason why I like it so much. There is never anyone there because it's near impossible to fish without losing every fly you have, and it takes practice to catch those wary Toms River trout. Be prepared to wade, because bank fishing is almost non-existent. Concentrate on the really tough areas, like overhangs, undercut banks, and logs, and you'll score well.

Next up is the Metedeconk River (around Parkway Milepost 91), and I suggest you get a good map if you want to fish it. I've only been there once, and they claim there are a lot of holdover trout in there, but it just looked like a good pickerel stream to me. It has some seedy neighborhoods too, so that's why I stay away.

The mighty Manasquan is the next one (get off at Parkway Exit 98/I-195, find access points around Allaire St Park area). I've only fished it once, but again, fly fishing is tough in there. But they stock it heavily with trout. If you put your time in, you'll do well.

Once you get in and above the Manasquan area, the Atlantic Highland/Inner Coastal Plain hills start, and you begin to get more rocky/gravelly bottoms. The Hockhockson Brook in southern Monmouth County (Exit 110 off the Parkway, above Tinton Falls) actually has rocky riffles, outcrops, and ledges, which is pretty cool to see in south/central NJ. If you want the more northern NJ small stream charm, go there. Access can be tough, though, since last time I was there I was fishing in someone's backyard. It was legal, but I don't like doing that.

In Cape May, Atlantic, and Cumberland Counties, we're pretty much stuck with pond fishing. It can be good, but also way too easy. Just use a weighted black whooly bugger, slowly dragged across the bottom, and you'll outfish the power bait guys. There really is no skill involved in catching those trout.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I fish a lot of the creeks and streams entering and leaving the stocked ponds and lakes. I believe half the trout stocked either swim up to the feeder creeks or wash over the dam.
These creeks and streams have little holes and cuts, most times these areas go untouched by other fishermen. I find these waters to be much more rewarding than fishing the main lake (most of these areas see little if any fishing pressure).
Head a little down stream and you feel like your in real trout waters. We've caught plenty of trout this way and don't have to drive an hour to fish.
Took my best NJ trout to date in one of these creeks, a 4.5 lb brookie looks down at me everyday. ;)
Not bad for a South Jersey trout......

[ 02-04-2004, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FLY TY R,
WOW,thanks for all the info and time,I didnt realize how limited we were for river stream creek fishing,here in the far south,..............
The next closest "good" trout stream available for fly fishing is the Toms River at Riverwood Park (get off at Parkway Exit 83). There are good year round populations of trout in there, but you need a Masters Degree in casting if you want to fly fish. That's one reason why I like it so much. There is never anyone there because it's near impossible to fish without losing every fly you have, and it takes practice to catch those wary Toms River trout. Be prepared to wade, because bank fishing is almost non-existent. Concentrate on the really tough areas, like overhangs, undercut banks, and logs, and you'll score well......This sounds like what im looking for,like i said fish would be a bonus,if their there,i can take um on most occasions,is there any insect life,Early BLK stoneflies????? scuds,cadis larva,midge???? do you have a Zip code,if so i can get a turn by turn directions from mapquest,how far is it from capemay???,again thanks so much.Man i wanna do some nymphing!!!!!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FAR,you have my attention Bro. ;) ,the closer the better,You Have Mail,Vinny

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phil L,thank you also,you been having any luck with the searun browns Phil??? man i really want to do some nymphing!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I'm going to try for the sea-runs in the Manasquan for the first time this year.

My friend Phil has done well there so hopefully he will guide me to his spots.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brian good luck when ya going,they say Nov.-Jan. Feb. are the best months.Pre and post spawn.Do you know if this is True????

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
V:
The Tom's is tough. Don't say I didn't warn you... :D

I can give you turn by turn directions if you want. I used to go up there almost every weekend, so I can tell you where all the good spots are. It doesn't look like much, but once you appreciate it's charm, you'll be hooked. I know several other people who call this water their own. I too consider it my "home trout waters", even though I'm now about 100 miles away.

I use a straight 6-foot 4lb leader most of the time with gawdy streamers. Spring creek tactics are NOT needed. The water is very clear in places, but slightly darker in deeper sections since it is Pine Barrens cedar water. Black streamers, like whooly buggers and marabou leeches, work well. Anything that is weighted works well too.

The main forage items for the trout are leeches, small eels, and dace. There are many amazing hatches of caddis, several types of stoneflies, mayflies, and midges, but they really don't provide any substantive food source. In the summer, terrestrials like hoppers dropped off of logs and the bank work very well. I've heard caddis dries work too, but I have more trust in subsurface flies. I have made up several streamer patterns specifically for the Toms. Some work better than others, but pretty much any brightly colored or black streamer with movement will work.

How you fish is important too. Look for the toughest places to fish, and that's where you'll get the most strikes. Undercut banks, under logs and jams, and backwater eddies hold most of the trout. There are some deep pools too (one I know of is about 8-10ft deep) that I'm sure the big hawgs sit in. I found out how to catch the fish while using spinners. I would accidentally cast the spinner up onto the bank or into a tree (very easy to do here) and gingerly drop it back into the water near the bank, only to have a trout race up from the bottom and get it as it hit the water. I adapted this technique to flies, and though I lose a lot, I catch a lot also.

E-mail me if you want more info. I'm listed.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Nov-march according to the nj f&g site. By April May they head out to sea.

[ 02-04-2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
V,
I havent been down to the Manasquan yet this year. Been too busy with other stuff so far. I know there have been sea runs caught there in December and January, along with little browns that are stocked in the fall. There have been some ice issue with the river freezing up, from what I hear solid downstream of the WMA with some icing issues upstream, except in the faster runs. Dont know what the recent rain and warmer temps have done to make that any better.

While they're there, its not hot fishing, especially with the fly, so you may have to make a bunch of trips to get that fish. If you really wanted to give it a go....I'd concentrate between Brice Memorial Park upstream thru Allaire State Park early mornings, evenings into dark after a rainfall(high water) for 1 or 2 days as the river is receeding. If you shoot me an email, I'll give you my home phone so I can give you directions, ect.....

Guys drift worms, minnows, egg sacs, throw spinners, etc...

You can also flyfish....wolly buggers, other streamers, even small clouser minnows....

Its fun but can be frustrating, although there are small stockies there that generally oblige.

If you wanted to nymph for alittle more action fishwise, I would reccommend you head up North to the Musconetcong, South Branch of the Raritan, or Pequest river...I also know of a few small brooks around the Delaware Water gap that have wild trout if you were interested in fishing very small streams that you have to approach like Special Ops manuvers to get within casting distance of the fish.

Phil L

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fly Ty R and Phil,thanks alot i will be in touch!!!This weekend dont look to good rain Fri & Sat. sunday droping back down to 30 brrrrrr.My wife just brought in the mail,and what do ya know.The Fisherman Mag.big artical on the sea run browns,Damn im gettin pumped for some trout fishing.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Now if you want to go "real" trout fishing. I do know the beaverkill & willomack(sp) quite well. About 4 1/2 hour away, but really nice. Ron
Just re-read. Man we need a spell check.

[ 02-04-2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts