BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well started off at pine road at pennypack... got there and there where a few guys in the spot we usually fish but thats was ok they where barners.. i believe his name was novisableleader.. well started off at my spot and nothing at all.. first time in about 15 yrs id idn't get something out of my mail spot.. well made a little wiggle and took a walk about 100 yrs to the rapids... they fish where there but not as thick as usual.. i got about 8-10 and just about that many came off.. i push the barb down... i seen a golden rainbow trout.. most people call them palamino trout.. but i was told before there not but i don't know... well i said man i just want to catch one to see them up close and i have never sen it.. well guess what the black panther martin did it... i got one.. everyon was coing up shaking my hand and all.. made me feel good :) 30 fishermen there and i got it.. well an older man there asked me if i was going to eat it and i said no i was going to release it he asked if he could have it for his pond i said sure and gave it to him and off he went home... well it was a great day of fishing.. or should i say 3 hours i left at 11am.. i have pics on my phone but i have no clue how to get them off....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Nice Philly, I Was Fishin At Winchester And Buselton In Pennypack, More People Than I Have Ever Seen There Before, I Didnt Get Anything :( . Whats Do Use For Bait??

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
flyerphan13 said:
Nice Philly, I Was Fishin At Winchester And Buselton In Pennypack, More People Than I Have Ever Seen There Before, I Didnt Get Anything :( . Whats Do Use For Bait??
90% of the time i use spinners.. other times i use meal worms... what are you doing this sat coming up?

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
nice philly,

I was down at the concert building in pennypack. Not as crowded as usual at 8am but they started coming later prob because of the cold.
I had 4 pretty quickly but was losing quite more then usual as i guess i was not getting a good set, anyway i kept fishin doing catch and release up until 9:30 after i put number 5 on the stringer i left for home.

I will be taking my daughter fishing either thurs or friday, but that will prob be lake levitown to keep it close to home.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice job. They must have mixed in the palominos well because I saw one on the Wissahickon too.

I made the mistake fishing opening day, what a circus act in the morning. Ended up walking a few miles of the creek scouting holes from 9-2. No fish around, come all the way back to where I parked, fish the hole by the bridge, which is now empty of people, limit out in about 40 minutes and leave by 3. Should be interesting to see who's out today.

They definitely stocked less, but the fish were a little larger on average. The water was crystal clear and a little cold as my leaking wader revealed. A rain storm should spread them out a little, right now they have not moved far from where they were put in. Gold phoebe and red and brown rooster tail lures worked best for me. Drifting green floating powerbait with a little splitshot up about 18" worked well too. There's a few earthworms under the sunny rocks and larger logs, but they are still small right now.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shakey said:
nice philly,

I was down at the concert building in pennypack. Not as crowded as usual at 8am but they started coming later prob because of the cold.
I had 4 pretty quickly but was losing quite more then usual as i guess i was not getting a good set, anyway i kept fishin doing catch and release up until 9:30 after i put number 5 on the stringer i left for home.

I will be taking my daughter fishing either thurs or friday, but that will prob be lake levitown to keep it close to home.
yeah its fun.. always better when you catch them on lures.. i never kept trout from pennypack but i was told its safe.. how do they taste? how do you cook them? whole or filet?

·
Registered
782 Posts
phillyfishing said:
i never kept trout from pennypack but i was told its safe.. how do they taste? how do you cook them? whole or filet?
They are very safe:

Q. What do we know about consumption patterns for state hatchery trout?
The results of a statistically-valid random survey of Pennsylvania trout anglers showed that the number who reported eating more than 104 such fish per year (one-meal-per-week) was less than one-half of one percent.1 Only about 5% of all trout anglers ate more than 24 stocked trout a year, which is the equivalent of a one meal per month. Remember that, applying the Great Lakes Consumption Advisories to hatchery trout, average sized persons could safely consume, over a period of months, 104 trout if subject to a one-meal-per-week advisory. For the vast majority of trout anglers and their families the levels of PCBs reported in PFBC hatchery fish appear to have no impact on their consumption. They say they eat far fewer stocked trout than would be advisable even using the Great Lakes protocols.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/qpcb2001.htm

How to Clean A Trout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01Y5ms2zhk&feature=related

How to Clean A Trout - When you want to impress your friends and/or you have enough trout to practice with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxgXJ55aZFI&feature=related

·
Registered
782 Posts
All I do is clean out the belly and blood line. Then put the body in aluminum foil with mikes italian salad dressing, olive oil, garlic, lemon slices, white wine, yellow squash or peppers and herbs of choice. Then cook on grill or oven. Serve with black beans/rice and vegetable.

Make sure to scrape off the skin and then pull the head out, the skeleton will separate from the meat. The vinegar in the salad dressing makes any remaining bones soft and pretty safe to eat. They are a little work, but if you don't like them that's ok because then there's more for me.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
yea that was me philly. I must of really made an impression, you could just about remember my name. ;) and i even offered to lend you a 10 weight fly rod

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NoVisibleLeader said:
yea that was me philly. I must of really made an impression, you could just about remember my name. ;) and i even offered to lend you a 10 weight fly rod
man if you only knew how bad i am with names... did you guys move some place else? i will be hitting the same area this sat but down the rapids this time... and again thanks for the offer for the rod :) might take you up on that.. i was going to buy a small combo and see how i like it first :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts