BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since trout season is on the horizon, I was wondering what would be the best rig setup to go with..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Where do you plan on fishing? River, lake? What are you more comfortable with, sitting a rod in the ground with bait? Or working lures?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will be fishing a slow moving creek with a light action spinning rod...don't mind lures or bait...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ok, well, I prefer lures, but to tell you the truth, working either isnt much of a difference.

What you want to look for in that creek are pools of deeper, slower water such as natural bends in the creek, or a falldown that has stopped and has pooled water. Trout get tired quickly and really dont want to swim alot, they like to lay in those pools and let food come to them.

So, for instance, I like to walk way down creek, or river and work my way back up slowly. Find that pool, cast ahead of it with a small Roostertail (1/16oz, color really does vary, but on opening day I have more luck with a brown body, gold blade) and work it deep into that pool, just fast enough to get the blade spinning. And work that hole a few times, just because you dont get hit the 1st cast, doesnt mean they arent there, I will hit a nice hole at least 4 times before I move on.

As far as bait, like meal worms, or powerbait, I'll be truthfull, i dont have much experience, but I have watched . The most used rig I have seen with those is a small baitholder hook, with a small splitshot or 2 rigged about 18" above the hook.

Have fun, and goodluck.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
I Just Use One Lure, And It Works Great ! Get Yourself A Yellow "panther Martin" It Has 3 Orange Dots On Each Side, But Get The Lightest One Theyv'e Got , Make Sure You Use 4lb. Test Line. You'll Never Use Another Lure Again,so Get More Than One,good Luck.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
you can fish mealworms with or without a bobber with a small splitshot maybe a foot above it.a nightcrawler should be fished weightless(drifted)with a size 8 hook.small minnows work too.
spinners,small spoons,even small jigs work for trout.oh yeah,and small crankbaits and rapalas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
for bait worms or minnows work great....I don't use live bait very often, I usually go for the spinners....I use a varitey of sizes and colors but the one that works the best for me is the black panther martin...has 3 yellow spots

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you just want to cast lures then all that was mention will work.i prefer to fish bait,go with 4or6lb test line and a #10 hook.1 maybe 2 small bb split shot about16'' above the hook ,take a small garden worm and only hook it once.the trick is to thow out and let your bait flow natural with the current and keeping it close to the bottom of the stream.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a little of both live bait and lures. Im in Pa and I have found a specail bait. Its hard to find and I only know of one place near me that sells them. They are more commonly called butter worms. They look like a grub really. They are a larva of a moth from south america. They have a slight orangy/red color to them but they really seem to catch a lot of trout. Small spinner baits work great from me. I like white with a silver spinner but as someone mentioned in another post I think I will go out and look for one of those black panther martin spinners with yellow spots. Good luck

mooney4:D

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
shark teezzr said:
I Just Use One Lure, And It Works Great ! Get Yourself A Yellow "panther Martin" It Has 3 Orange Dots On Each Side, But Get The Lightest One Theyv'e Got , Make Sure You Use 4lb. Test Line. You'll Never Use Another Lure Again,so Get More Than One,good Luck.
BULLSEYE!!!!!!!!

I prefer the black body/yellow dots but they all work. And work well.
I caught 30 trout in an hour and a half in the Skippy one year all on one spinner......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts