BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the natural resourses of New Jersey but the system of registering boats could be made quicker and easier. I live in Pennsylvania and recently purchased a boat from a person in NJ. I called the DMV and asked if I needed a notarized bill of sale for a boat, as noted on their website. The lady told me no, just bring in the signed over title. I had decided to register it in NJ as that is where I will be using it and I could also keep the same numbers. I went to window #4 and gave the nice man my form and papers and he told me to have a seat and they would call my name. A gal called me to window 5 and told me I had an address in NJ and they could not put two addresses in the computer. I told her I did not have an address but that was the address of the campground where I have a trailer which is titled in NJ but not registered for the highways. She said she could not proceed unless I produced a piece of mail with my name and address in PA on it. I went out to my car and found an owners card from PA with my name and address. She told me to take a seat until called. The gal called me back to window 5 and said the address was changed but they could not process the title because the amount paid on the back of the title was sloppy and they thought it may have been altered. I explained the woman I purchased the boat from had arm surgery and since she had a cast on her arm and wrist, the writing was rather jerkey. She told me to take a seat until called. She again called me to window 5 and informed me her supervisor told her I needed a notorized bill of sale from the sellers before they could proceed. I explained how they lived about 50 miles from me and I had called beforehand and they informed me it was not necessary, before I went to pick up the title. She said she was sorry but they could not proceed without the notorized bill of sale because of the sloppy writing. I informed her that I wanted to pay the state $600. in tax money and if they did not want it, I would pay it to Pennsylvania, as I was not going to drive back over to NJ. She said she was sorry but she could not do anything. I drove back to Pennsylvania and stopped at an auto tag agency in Montgomery County. The gal took the title, filled out a form, added up the totals and I paid her the $600. along with the fees. She gave me my temporary stickers that are good for two months. Only took 10 minutes. Now when my permanent numbers come I have to scrape off the NJ numbers and replace them with the PA numbers. This shows the difference between a private tag agency and a state run system. Why do the residents of NJ put up with this type of system? There must of been 100 customers in the NJ DMV location along with about 40 employees and not a smile on anyone, customer or employee. Seems like a little thought by someone could arrive with a better system unless fleecing the taxpayer and creating jobs is a higher objective than an efficient system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I KNOW THE FEELING WENT TO NJ DMV 3 Years ago to register a boat that I had the title to but because it had salvage wrote on it they told me I had to take it to Trenton to have it inspected which is a 2and 1\2 hour ride with the boat to have them inspect it then wait 6 weeks for an answer My husbad went to Pa to a auto tag agency and had a temporary sticker for 2 months and received the originals in about a month Just renewed it again in March and is good for 2 years I have 3 boats that are registerd in the state of Pa and I will never regester my boats in the state of NJ AGAIN. I have lived in Malaga all of my life and it was worth the drive to Pa to regester my boats.Pa received all of my tax money plus regestration fees.

·
Registered
86 Posts
New Jerseys system is much improved although still slow and mind numbing,but if you want to experience hell try to register in New York.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Hey mobyduck, it's twice as good now as it used to be!!! I kid you not! The one near me they had to station police in there full time!

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I had a problem registering my boat also, they said what I paid was not enough that the boat was worth allot more. They told me to come back with a notarized bill of sale. I live in south jersey and had to contact the owner again and drive 2.5hr's back to his place and get one.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
It's gotten alot better in the last few years, when I first moved here with my boat I changed the registration from PA to NJ & I remember there was a problem that they didn't understand that I was just changing registration not that I just bought it and they gave me the wrong paper work to fill out, :mad: But I just bought a used boat last week and I was in and out in less than a half hour , I thought that was pretty good.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Had the same difficulty w/ both boats I've owed. The ease with which one gets boat registration in NJ varies depends on what NJ Motor Vehicle Office you use. I've found the one in Camden seems to give you less hassle. If you are really stuck you can get it registered in PA then transfer it to NJ. PA boat registration is a piece of cake and then when you have it fully documented in PA you go back to NJ and transfer your registration. Just make sure your stated address is consistant.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
STILL DONT KNOW WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO REGESTER IN NJ, YOU CAN KEEP A VESSEL AWAY FROM ITS HOME PORT , IT NEVER HAS TO HIT ONE, HOWEVER YOU CAN ONLY STAY AT ANOTHER PORT FOR 180 DAYS, THATS ABOUT 6 MONTHS, I WOULD HAVE REGESTERED IT IN DELEWARE. AND NOT PAID ANY TAX, THEY ALSO SELL A 2 OR 3 YEAR REGESTRATION. JUST COURIOUS...

[ 06-05-2006, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: SNAKE EYES ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts