BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While going over the Parkway bridge near Ocean City, I noticed the launch ramp next to the Tuckahoe Inn. I drove around to the site and it looks pretty good. The floating dock looks nice and plenty of parking. At $8. a launch it may be worth it. Anyone have any experience with this launch ramp? Also I have not fished in this area but have heard its good at times along the Parkway bridge. Appreciate any comments on the ramp and also the fishing in the area - Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have not personally used that ramp, when I am up there, I use one in Somers Point. I have heard some horror stories from that ramp. Depending on what type of boat/trailer setup you have, you may not have any problems at all. Probably best to launch with the tide, though. From what I understand, the ramp has a sharp drop-off at the end. Otherwise, the parking is right there and is convienient. I enjoy fishing and cruising that whole area up there- alot of variety.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
That ramp is very SHALLOW and not very steep.There is a drop off at the end as stated by jrigzdude.Shallow water all around it.
It's great for smaller boats,but anything over 19ft. you would have to pick your tide.

As for fishing,it gets kind of crazy on the weekends out there with all the jet-skis and pleasure cruisers.Flounder fishing is decent at times,but you have to work the area once you find a few.....Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
fshlot hit it on the head. Low tide, your rig WILL be in the water to get boat on. Havn't been there in years, but after 5pm its free, and before 7am(if ya come in after 5pm) Muni launch, good docks, and open Mem Day till Labor Day. All in all, not bad though.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
We used to use that ramp and fish that area all the time. The ramp is nice but on low tide you can almost walk a couple of hundred yds out off the beach it is very shallow. There were plenty of times that we had to paddle out to even put the engine down.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Originally posted by on the hook:
Havn't been there in years, but after 5pm its free, and before 7am(if ya come in after 5pm)
It's only free if the cranky old man who works there is off! :D Make SURE to come back before 7AM if you want it to be free, or else he WILL charge you, even if you went in at 2AM when he wasn't there.

Yes, agree to all, VERY shallow ramp, no big boats. I've seen some people almost destroy their trucks/trailors trying to launch big boats there. 19' is really pushing it, I think. Anything over 16' and you should go somewhere else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Watch the crab traps also. even if you stay away from them sometimes you will catch the rope and it will wrap around your prop. I always liked the old Ralph Clayton Marina now called OceanHeights Marina on Ocean Heights Ave. Ramp fee was $20.00 but nice facilites restrooms,bbq grills and fresh water hoses to wash and flush your investment rather than wait till you get home and are all tired.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info men - Tugboat - Where is Ocean Heights Ave? Appreciate the help -

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coming from the Tuckahoe area -

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Moby, head North on the GSP and get off at the Somers Point Exit just past the Great Egg Toll Plaza. Drive North on Route 9 drive past Bethel Road(where the Mobil/Boston Market is located) and the next light you get to is Ocean Heights Ave.(Wawa and CVS are on each corner) Make a left onto Ocean Heights Ave and once you cross the Patcong creek bridge, Clayton's Marina is on the left side. I grew up right down the road from there and use to go crabbing off the old dock before he purchased it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last weekend I tried to go over to the Tuckahoe Inn.You guys aren't jokin about it being shallow,I draw 2.5 ft and did not have a prayer of making to the dock.I was a good 300 yds away when I ran out of water.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fishenough - Thanks for the directions - I'll be down all next week on vacation and if I can I'll give the ramp a try. Not asking for exact spots, but any areas near that ramp good for fluke? Appreciate any help -

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Moby, I don't think you can catch any fluke in Patcong Creek. I just its to far up the creek. You need to make your way toward Beesleys Point. Although Barrell may have some better info. Have you thought about launching from Kennedy Park? I thought they had a public ramp.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nick, I think you have to buy the permit from Borough Hall in SP for Kennedy Park. I have picked people up from there before at low tide, it is pretty shallow there too. Mobyduck, Ocean Heights marina will probably work fine. Just follow patcong creek down past Gateway marina and out towards the power plant.

VERY IMPORTANT!--
once you pass gateway marina and go under the RT559 bridge, stay between the channel markers!
The water gets shallow on both sides of the channel. Once you get to the main channel by the plant, all is ok. There is good fishing all around that area from the tension lines all the way out towards Longport, although you wouldn't know it if you fished with me, LOL. Fishenough knows what I am talking about. Also, you can hit the gas dock on your way past Gateway and pick up bait there. They usually have good shedders there.

It would probably be prudent for you to look at a regular roadmap of the area so you can get an Idea of where the marina and all is, Always better to get an illustration of directions.
Good Luck Man, and have fun.

·
Banned
2,288 Posts
The Beesly's point ramp is not as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Kennedy park is way worse as far as sahallow water. Tennesee Ave. is the deepest if you have a large boat. I been launching in Beesly's point for over 30 years. The attendant is not grouchy, just doing his job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts