BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Not sure Josh, but just did not out perform PP IMHO. I have really not seen the problems that others have described. I make sure I check it for small frays and take a good 4-5 feet off ev everytime I rig and that seems to do it

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
WoW, Interesting replys here..

Maybe everyone can expand on their responses as to why its better or not then PowerPro...

I must amit PP needs some competition becasue the price is getting out of hand in alot of places.. I see that this Tuf Line is a little cheaper per yard....

[ 09-21-2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
For me, PP is very reliable. I think the line takes the blame too much with regards to the fraying, which I guess is everyone's beef. As far as casting distance, tie ease I have NO problems at all.

Like I was saying, I make sure I strip about 4-5 feet everytime I rig, and I do re-rig every trip even though I go about twice a week. I always wash the line and reels off with fresh H2o after each use. Many people have posted about frank break-offs. I have really started to focus on the eye-holes of my egg sinkers. I have been buying only egg sinkers with smooth and burnished eyes. You can also get ceramic inserted ones in special stores. I also never put the sinker on until I am about to cast. Gotta re-evaluate almost after every cast if you are fishing near structure, that's just the trade off for using braid around structure when compared to mono. It's more sensitive and stiffer, but there is a trade off like anything else in life.

I tie an improved Uni to the swivel , seem to do the trick

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, I agree!

DB, I also wash with fresh water afetr each use and had 2 break off's on the same rod.
I checked the guides for burrs and found none.
I had this problem before.
Old stock maybe? Coincidence? Who knows?
I don't see harm in trying another brand if the price is right.
I believe they are both made from same material.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've only had 1 break off with PP and that was when I had a cracked rod tip. I've had blues, bridges, and crab traps break me off, but never had the line break by itself. Until it happens i'm sticking with PP.

50# chuncking, 30# bridge, 20# plugging.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Use tuff line xp and no bad experiences. Similar to PP at less $$.

For toggin I add a 10 ft topshot of heavy mono for the abraision resistance

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
Steve, I agree!

DB, I also wash with fresh water afetr each use and had 2 break off's on the same rod.
I checked the guides for burrs and found none.
I had this problem before.
Old stock maybe? Coincidence? Who knows?
I don't see harm in trying another brand if the price is right.
I believe they are both made from same material.
Agreed, catch'em up .

See ya in October ??

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Both are comming out of the same micro-dilema factory.

Difference is PP puts the waxy coatiing on it, Tuff-Line made by Western Filiment does not. Stiff for me.

SportFishing Magazine rated Tuff-Line No. 1 braid after test for ALL the variables in Feb 2004.

Power Pro for me.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Have used both Tuf line and PP and gave up on them because of fraying and lost roundness resulting in excessive wind knots
Using Stren braided now ,little more expensive BUT doesn't fray.holds roundness and fewer wind knots
I also have 2 reels with the new Ande Braided and it is even better,don't know price as I got demonstrated spools to try but so far ,the best yet

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I've been using PP for the last 5 years and have never had a breakoff due to the line.Forget to open the bail?Yes :D Line wrap around tip?Yes :D
Human error type things.
Tried the Tuff LineXP one season in Hatteras and experienced alot of wind knots. :confused:
Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance but I switched back to PP.
May try the Stren on one of my pluggin' rods.

Steve

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
To tell you the truth I have been using Power Pro since it came out and never experience frays and or many windknots.. In fact the only time I get a windknot is just after re-spooling a reel where I put a little bit to much line on.And it usually happens after the first few casts.Cut a little off and I am good to go.. I have 20lb on my Shimano Sustain and 30lb on my VS150 and Penn 706.
I wash it down after every trip,and I change the line on each reel once or twice each season...

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
To tell you the truth I have been using Power Pro since it came out and never experience frays and or many windknots.. In fact the only time I get a windknot is just after re-spooling a reel where I put a little bit to much line on.And it usually happens after the first few casts.Cut a little off and I am good to go.. I have 20lb on my Shimano Sustain and 30lb on my VS150 and Penn 706.
I wash it down after every trip,and I change the line on each reel once or twice each season...
Right on Steve

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My only complaint with PP is price.
Cheaper than good mono in the long run since you can get a season out of it.
I'm either gonna try TL or start buying PP in bulk.
I like buying the smaller spools because I can put 150 yds on the spool without measuring.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Power Pro for me! I tried Tuf Line in Florida on a fishing vacation at the reccomendation of the tackle shop owner. HATED IT compared to PP! Frayed easier and got bit off easier when not using a leader for trout w/jigs. PP was definitely stronger and mor e durable. Up here I get 2 or 3 years out of most of my PP. Use mainly the 30 and 50 lb test on all my stuff. I like having my Calcutta 400's spooled at the tackle shop w/50 because no splices and I get a full fill. PP is best for me. It's wortha couple bucks more to me. I save in the long run by not having to replace it so much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.