BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had South Florida Fishing Channel with us, and my radar quit at 80 miles. UGHHHH. Used the ripcharts app to find the temp breaks and found a couple birds that we chased right into 4 other boats out there. Got on a few nice yellowfin and some skippys. Lost the birds and guys out there were trying to figure out their radar setups. Went in to 80 miles on the most awesome weed line and picked up some nice Mahi. Tough day but made it happen. Very thankful for what we got! Here is the video.

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
Trying to understand, what does the radar provide that helps you target the fish?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't call that tough, but makes it harder relatively speaking.

Tough is putting your fares on a wreck with a compass and a watch. Funny those guys produced epic catches.

Just saying.

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
It finds the birds up to 6 miles away in my case. Birds find and feed on the same baits the fish feed on.

So you look for clutter on the radar? What would the screen display?

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
I see allot of the new systems have bird mode which increases the gain a suppresses sea clutter, how is that setup on a traditional radar that does not have the auto mode? Turn up the gain and sea clutter to pick out the targets?

Here's a screen shot from the internet.

View attachment 454286

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
My Furuno units from 1999 and 2003 have never missed a beat (yet)...but I will say all the new manufacturers clearly outperform my older stuff!

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
This is a great thread, I am getting educated on using my Raymarine Radar and in the last week have found out some interesting things. I would like to figure out how to fine tune my Digital radar with my C120W. It appears it has harbor, coastal and offshore mode but no bird mode. I will have to turn up the gain to get that tuned in but not sure what other options to adjust. I think I will send a ? to raymarine to see what they say, their technician in the UK is pretty good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've used the radar for this as well. Mine is a lot older, but still works for this function. I have to fiddle with the gain functions a lot, but the fiddle time is worth it when you find a flock inshore when everything is quiet. Hey, if the radar can pick up rain drops, my wake, and tips of waves, it can pick up the birds. Find a flock and try to pick it up on your system and you'll learn which gain setting works "most of the time" in certain conditions. I love having radar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts