BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As fly tyers and fishermen, we evolve into better and more efficient fish catchers. This include our flys!
Our last trip out to the Blue Fin grounds found the fish eating extremely flashy flies. Angel hair was the key to getting these boys lit up nd crazy! After destroying a few hooks on our last Blue Fin trip, I hit the bench to modify a few flys in tuna catchers.
Heres a few Peanut Bunker immitators tied on Tre Combs Big Game hooks. Easy to tie, durable, and a nice immitation...They will catch a few.

Close up, you can see the wide profile and the 3D thickness of this fly. Water test today showes that they are non fouling. They perform well in the water and cast well too.

Next in line is a revised version of a Mush Mouth.
These are tied on Mustad PowerPoint hooks. I also like to use the Owner Aki in a size 2 hook for these smaller flys. Mustad Tarpon hook #C68S fits the bill well for a small and extremely powerfull hook too.

[ 08-07-2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Frank very nice stuff there. I had a few butterfish flies that also drove them nuts about the size of a half dollar when puffed out. I like the longer ones personally but I am also using a 11-12 weight combo.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Frank Sweet looking. Ron

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
very nice flies as always Frank! I still havent got a tuner on the flyrod - hopefully this year if we can get then close to the boat.

Have you been tossing live Peanuts to get the speedsters up???

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Frank, those flies also look like they would be deadly on stripers. Being alitle windy and low tide tonight, I might just do some tying. They all turned out beautiful. That extra strong hook probably helps them sink alittle faster too.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's always a new way to creat a fly. Different materials married together to immitate a baitfish. Make it easy to tie, perform well, and catch fish and we are in buisness!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts