BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use these things?? I've seen these things for awhile now but never heard anything about them. Do they work? If you have used them, are they worth the 400 bucks they want for em'??

·
Registered
56 Posts
i bought a mako magnet last year...I'm not sure if it worked, but let me tell you my results...In two days of fishing I caught the following species of sharks: hammerhead, thresher, mako, and blueshark. Could have been a coincidence, but i will be using it from now on.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
I have had em out and to be honest I can't say they work or not. They don't scare fish but can't say that they draw makos as such. The only sharks I have had take a pass at them are blue sharks and they aren't very picky. Actually had more interest from them trying to eat my transducers than the magnets...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to figure out if i wanna add one to my arensal...but at 350+ for one, its kinda of difficult deciding if I want that or 350 bucks worth of other lil odds & ends

·
Registered
160 Posts
Magnet

Capt that I work for has the Mako / Tuna Magnet with the different leads to allow use for either one. Haven't caught anything with it yet. All I can say about it is. I am glad I didn't pay for it.:D

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Personally I think that they are junk , But to each his own !!!! I think that they are junk because they contradict everything that science and research have taught us.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
i bought a mako magnet a few years back and used it on all trips and caught sharks on all trips. but also we had loads of chum and chunks in the slick. we did lose the magent to and interested shark while at the tea cup. we had it in a 5 gal bucket with the top on over the side of the boat. we heard some noise and when we pulled on the rope the magnet was gone including the bucket leaving just the rope and the electrical wire.

have not replaced it and we are still cathcing the old fashion way with lots of chum.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I'm hearing it seems like they are a waste of money, we really dont shark all that much...I dont believe there are too many big mako's left anyhow..and I dont really like playing with bunker chum all that much anyway:eek:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was in a sailfish tourny with 50 other boats. The winning boat was using a tuna magnet. Fished the same tourny next year and the same boat came in 3rd out of 50. I say it cant hurt to use one.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Hs On The Barn Herb Sensation Has A Post And Fishes A Lot Of Tourney's And Has A Very Good Reputation Has Posted In The Past That He Liked Them. Maybe If Herb Sees This He'll Post If He Still Does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts