BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do a Tuna trip this summer, any recomendations for e bost to go on? I am thinking a head boat for the simple fact that sleeping on the way out sounds like a good idea. Any thoughts, any help
Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Sea Devil and Big Jamaican out of Brielle have bunks down below bring earplugs if you want any sleep, the area is just forward of the engine room, most trips last season were successful. Doris Mae out of Barnegat cosistantly does well but you'll have to sleep on the seats in the galley. Ther are a number of other boats that run and post schedules on their websites...Gambler, Golden Eagle and Miss Barnegat Light run on occassion. Canyon fishing on headboats can be pretty frustrating when wind and currents are not favorable but I've been on a lot of trips that had a good bit of experienced fishermen on board and tangled lines were rare. I've also been out with a lot of first timers that don't want to listen to the mates and insist of letting their lines tangle half the boat.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fish n chip :bow: we got 17 yft last year in about 2 hours. Great crew and capt.
Fish n chip is also one of the more reasonable priced trips too. No such thing as a cheap tuna trip unless you know somebody rich. Good luck catchem up

Fish n chip = south jersey/ Barnegat to capemay wherever the bite is:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you go out of cape may I like capt Val of the warden pass. He's a barn sponsor and a hard working capt, who does what it takes to find the fish you are targeting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you want to fish on a head boat keep in mind that most of them don't start sailing for tuna until September, although a few may start in late August. If this is not an issue there are many good choices out there with the Voyager, the Jamaica, and the Doris Mae a few of the better ones I have fished and liked. That said, there are many other good ones you'll likely hear about on this board.

If you want to fish in the summer and sleep on the way out, there are also a number of private charter options that are also exceptional. In addition, a private charter will give you the opportunity to both troll and chunk, which in many scenarios can greatly increase your odds of catching. If you do choose the private charter option Mark Deblasio on the Canyon Runner is an exceptional choice worth pursuing based on first hand experience. I'm sure the Pez Machine, Fish N' Chips and Warden Pass will also put you on fish based on the strong reviews of these boats frequently posted on this site.

Best of luck and let us know how you do when in fact you do get out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.