BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two steaks left from some bluefin, I vacuum packed them they were nice a fresh, this was from July. well I thawed them yesterday and they were bad they had a nasty fishy smell.

They were not freezer burnt either just seemed to go bad.

ever happen to anyone else? Thought they would last a little longer then this.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Im with you I also never had tuna keep well for me either. A few weeks was ok but longer and as you stated had a nasty fishy smell. I talk to guys that say they have it forever and it keeps. May just be something with the fish. I do all the extras too like do not rinse with fresh water and also make sure meat is toweled dry before sealing in vac bags.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Also, it helps to freeze the steaks first for an hour, then vacuum seal.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
when I defrost vacuum packed fish I always remove it from the bag and wrap with paper towel while it is still frozen. freezing breaks the cell walls which allows the water to be drawn out of the meat when defrosting under a vacuum. meat sitting in that liquid gets nasty quick. also make sure ALL of the red line is removed before freezing as this will taint the meat.

·
Registered
14,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No power outage but I will not be letting this go this long again, it was the last two steaks but they were nice size and looking forward to the meal, had to make Chicken Marseilles instead.

I like the idea of freezing first then sealing in the bag.

·
Registered
14,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have found that most time BFT do not freeze well. They are fine if you eat them within a month but after that it's a crap shoot.
YFT seem to last much longer.
I did have some YFT smaller steaks in there as well, they did not smell as bad but I discarded as well was not sure.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Not an expert on this but I've not had much luck with freezing Tuna. There might be a reason so much of it is canned.

·
Banned
19,807 Posts
I agree with not thawing it in the bag. I find most frozen tuna is a crapshoot after more than a 6 months. It is still good for putting in the smoker though.
I have had good results with long term storage by grilling it & then canning it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Enzyme activity in tuna blood does not stop, even when frozen. I think this is the primary reason why tuna does not keep well, longterm, when frozen.

Wrap the meat in rice paper to extract the most blood as possible before freezing - and don't wait 6 months to eat it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I've never had great luck with bluefin after more then 4 or 5 months I ussually give it to friends who seem to eat anything, I think they smoke alot of it, or maybe they smoke something else and don't notice the taste. anything that is getting a bit old we give them and they're always happy to get it. when we vacuum seal bluefin, we do remove the redline and extract as much of the blood as possible, useing the rice paper is the same way we do it. When thawing we also remove it from the bag and place it in a paper towels or again rice paper. We really try and eat as much of this fresh as possible and call in friends and neighbors who love grilling it fresh, same thing with Mahi, they don't seem to freeze to well either.I have some friends who won't eat any fish that has been frozen, they just keep what they'll be able to eat fresh and release the rest. Wreckfish and flounder really vacuum seal extremely well, like most white meat fish do. Striper we cut way any of the meat section near the belly and that tastes alot better since vacuum sealers came out. Yfin and lfin no problems, and we love to can, both of them, people that I've given our canned tuna fish find it hard to want to buy store canned tuna after eating what we jar up. We've used it 2 yrs jarred and it still was excellent, I used to post I was bringing it to work on fridays and people would bring bread,tomatos and all the rest for us to have a nice big lunch. Very few people would go out for lunch or bring their own lunch when I posted bringing in the tuna we would set-up.. You just need tobe sure the jar pops and seals properly or it will stink the whole house up. Years ago I walked in my parents house and as soon as I got in the front door the stink hit me, I'm looking around for a dead animal or who knows what, it smelled like the time I left some mackeral in my Moms trunk of her buick I had used to put in raccoon traps. Man did I hear it, it took me hours to get the smell out of her car, but the day I smelled it in the house I couldn't find what it was, I walked in the kitchen and see my Dad chowing down a tunafish sandwich he made from our jarred tunafish, I hollered at him spit that out!! I couldn't beleive he could possibly eat that, how in the world he didn't smell it I couldn't believe. I said you better throw that stuff up so he took some epidec to help make him puke it up, and the Dr, phoned in some other medicine to neutralise anything that he didn't get rid of. Here he had to clean up part of an oil spill on his job site and it clogged his sinuses all up he couldn't smell or taste a thing. I still get nauseas thinking about it. So if you jar it make sure you have a good seal, as long as it seals properly and you use yfin or lfin it is incredible to eat.

·
Registered
605 Posts
another reason might be how the tuna was taken care off after caught
the best way i found was to cut the gills and drag it back wards from the boat to bled it out then gut the fish put it on ice and pack the inside with ice i see too many coming back to dock not even gutted

·
Registered
14,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
everyone, thanks for the reply, I will not try to hold this stuff for too long anymore.

Just an FYI, we cleaned it good that day, bled it out, did not rinse with fresh water and cut the bloodline off, these steaks were beautiful when I put them in the bag, look like what you see at the market on ice, nice red color. I was looking at them while in the freezer and even frozen they seemed to turn brown, though it was just from freezing but could not remember.

Anyway, from now on that stuff is being consumed ASAP, at least it was only two steaks and not more.

Like I said I also had some YFT from the same time that had a smell but that could be because i was smelling the BFT but to be safe I chucked it all :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I usually try to eat the BFT fresh or frozen for a short time. I think the high fat content makes this the worst tuna to freeze. And the fattier the BFT the stronger it will be.The last couple of times I had enough to freeze, I froze the whole loin. I ate one of the loins over a year later. It was a little freezer burnt but I trimmed about 1/2 inch of meat all around the loin. The rest of the fish looked great and tasted fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.