BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big thanks to the JCAA for its positive stance regarding wind turbines for our nearshore waters.

While the recreational fishing guys have come out in favor of the wind turbines, the commercialites are the ones vocally protesting the building of these at-sea windmill fields. They fear the fields could interfere with their net setting, bottom dragging and such.

Of course, I wholeheartedly agree with the anglers that these huge windmills have the potential to create incredible habitat. I saw the potential for windmill-related fishing grounds a couple years back after mulling over research papers written on existing European turbine fields. Note: It is necessary to be vigilant should wind-driven turbine fields be allow, making certain the area would be open to hook-and-line fishing -- and closed to commercial potting.

Truth be told, we have a nearshore eco-setup here in Jersey that would fully respond to windmills. Not only do many of our game species seek structure but also, far more significantly, all fish larvae and fry need protection to survive. And, no, nature doesn?t always offer the optimal layout for survival. In this instance ? and not unlike our artificial reefs ? mankind can actually greatly increase the overall fish stocks.

It is hard to comprehend why some commercial fishermen refuse to acknowledge that an overall increase in stocks will also profit them in the long run. The words "terminally shortsighted" jump to mind -- and manifests all too often in overharvested fisheries.

The prime intent of wind turbine fields would be energy-based, however, this is one of those symbiotic match ups where anglers, environmentalists and the energy industry can all profit. As the expression goes: It?s all good.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
You guys better think hard about this one.

Ok They plaster the ocean with these windmills. Then they run power lines to shore. Making that whole area a non Fishing zone regardless if your rec or Comm.

Something is very fishy with this whole scam. Bradly is spear heading this and the National Audubon society is standing behind him.

Ya better think hard about this whole thing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Although I would love to believe the hype, I can easily picture an entire off-limits area. It is a serious threat.

I have been an observer of the electrical power industry for many years. No company in their right minds would place themselves in a position where they are exposed to lawsuits, and take a chance of the equipment being vandalized.

Unless there is a way to profit from it, why would a private company place their assets at risk? They wouldn't. The stockholder or individual investor could not accept such risk.

As far as the veracity of government officials, and environmental groups is concerned, the old joke goes: "I believe we have established what you are, I see it's just a matter of price".

·
Registered
31,529 Posts
In the post 9/11 era it's very easy to see them saying sure it'll be open to fishing, then after they're built saying sorry National Security, no boats allowed.

I'm still amazed the oil platforms down south are open. They shouldn't be.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
The size of the proposed farms is truly astounding. I do not view it as 4 farms off Cape May County but really one big one considering the size. We're talking 200 squares miles starting at the south tip of 5 fathom bank and pretty much running up through the Stone Beds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts