·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SURF-TURF WAR

'BOARDERS' VS. ANGLERS FOR L.I. SEAS

By SELIM ALGAR

();
KEEPING IT REEL: Surfers teem around the Montauk Point coast over this past weekend as an angler waits hopefully for the fish to bite.

August 27, 2007 -- It's a totally gnarly dispute - pitting surfer dudes vs. surf fishermen.
And the ticketing of a surfing legend's fiancée for illegal wave riding on the north side of Montauk Point, L.I., has only further stoked tensions between the area's anglers and its burgeoning community of wave riders.
The two groups are tussling over use of a small strip of shoreline in an area that prohibits surfing but allows surfcasting.
The fishermen claim that surfers make it impossible for them to freely throw out their lines into the water and that the boarders also drive fish from the coveted fishing destination.
Surfers, asserting a natural right to use the shore resource, have flouted the prohibition and benefited from lax enforcement for several years. But increased complaints from anglers have led to an increase in patrolling and ticketing of surfers in recent months.
Longboarding legend Terry Simms, 48, of California, said he was hassled and trailed by a parks officer earlier this summer. His fiancée, Nancy Opitz, 38, said she had finished surfing in late July when a patrol car pulled up behind her vehicle and gave her a ticket.
"Nothing like this happens in California," Opitz said of her citation, which wound up being dismissed on a technicality last week.
"Montauk is not just a fishing town anymore."
But the fishermen disagree. "This is really the last area we have left," said Jay Blatt of the Montauk Surfcasters Association.
Blatt said that casting heavy lures and sharp hooks out into a crowd of surfers puts them in danger.
"The two activities are not compatible in the same area," he said.
Blatt said surfers have successfully petitioned to open up all other areas of Montauk for surfing and are gradually squeezing out fishermen.
"This is a fishing town. It has been for centuries," he said. "But they think they should be able to surf any time, anywhere, anyplace. They're out to usurp us."
Tom Naro, chairman of the Eastern Long Island Chapter of the Surfriders Association, said the fishermen are being alarmist.
"We're not trying to exclude anybody," he said. "But no one user group should have the spot to themselves."
Naro also dismissed Blatt's claims that surfers scare away fish and that they are regularly hooked by wayward casts.
"You have to want to hook a surfer if you're going to hook him," he said, saying that the two activities can co-exist safely.
New York State Parks spokesman George Gorman said a meeting is planned on the issue in the coming weeks and that the surfers are actively fighting to have the prohibition lifted.
He noted an increase in organization on the part of East Coast surfers.
"They grew up and became attorneys," he said.
[email protected]

·
Registered
251 Posts
Surfers "grew up and became attorneys"! LOL! I'm going to be nice and not comment.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Same thing happened a few years ago in Brigantine. After getting our butts kicked I finially realized just how unorganized fishermen really are. Yea, just fish at night. Thats what I'm talking about. Don't get me started. Phil

·
Banned
2,405 Posts
Hey like the surfers said in the article, no one owns the ocean, I would just fish where I wanted to and if a surfer ends up with a size 10 J hook and 5 ounces of weight in his leg, its better than catching the skunk! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I stopped there on our way to the Canyons for Tuna. This is funny until you actually have some clowns swearing at you to go fish somewhere else while you’re trying to cast out.

I gave one warning that we were there first and it would be much healthier for them to leave now.

They gave us the bird.

We chucked plugs at them until they were out of reach. Funny as hell.
They beached well away from us and left quickly. First smart thing they did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like snag hooks!! Thats how it always seems to be with those clowns. I can respect if there where first I will go somewhere esle but the second they decide to cross me when I was there before them they officially became a casting target!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If there is an Ordinance against Surfing; Arrest everyone of the surfers as they come in from the surf. Enforce the existing law while talking about the future.
We seem to have great difficulty in this Country enforcing laws. It's all pretty simple.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Whats the problem, all them surfer boys know how chicks dig scars. All it takes is one 4oz pikie with 3 5/0 VMCs and he will have plenty of scars to turn on them surfer girls.

I have used this method before and it works, however i only had a hopkins shorty with a 3/0 VMC but he put enough blood in the water that the fishing got better.

I will also mention that i was there fishing first and asked them to move down the beach, but you can only laugh and give me the finger so many times before i have to act. My legs work just as well as those who surf and if they were there first i would not stop and fish in front of them.

Jim

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Surfing is growing at a rate that seems out of control, sucks for guys that surf because there just isn't really enough room for everyone.... You catch one good wave and it seems like every idiot from CapeMay to Ocean City will paddle on out and sit right next to you. And the longboard lawyer type, I wish there were fisherman on the beach throwing lures at them..... Why don't you guys come fish Avalon, I'm sick of telling people to BEAT-IT! See, we can get along!:) :D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Invent a Surfing license. Make them take a 6 hour safety course and test for $75 too! Most surfers from what I have observed, don't spend money in the seashore towns. They can't afford to rent a place. They drive in, park and change their clothes in their cars.

PS, having owned beach front property, I have had surfers sneak in and use my outdoor showers and do some things that I can't post here.

My daughter surfs so I'm not against surfing but they have more control over where they can surf and a few of them just try to bother the fishermen intentionally. Otherwise we probably could both share the waters. Besides, I don't usually want to fish in the area where the waves are breaking good for surfing. I look for the holes where there's not too many waves.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Cardshop said:
Most surfers from what I have observed, don't spend money in the seashore towns. They can't afford to rent a place. They drive in, park and change their clothes in their cars.
While true to some degree, on the other side of the coin, there are alot more people with money surfin, plus it's trendy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fished the Russ Chatum bridge Sunday. Had a problem with the wave runners running under the bridge at full speed out of the channel.Hooked
up three three times but could"d stop then.Learned some new words. Next week ill bring a tuna stick with 9/0 j hooks,no circle hooks.Plenty of small porgies fluke under the bridge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts