BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it was BW who posted a while back that he hadnt been seeing turtles at the usual spots. Well, I believe they just got a late start because I have been seeing turtles at all my stops the past two weeks. From the way back all the way to the inlet. What kind of turtles are these anyway?

I have not seen any trying to lay eggs or cross the road yet. Well, except for a huge snapping turtle crossing the road next to the custard stand on the road between Rt 9 and 47

Ryanf

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Black Cloud is correct.I had a terrapin cross in front of my car in avalon manor today. I think its egg laying season.I catch the poor guys alot when I am fishing for spot and pinfish. Saw them as early as April this year at the Power Plant near Marmora.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Last week they were all over between OC and WW. I did see a few that were hit by cars on the Avalon Causeway.
You guys ever see the turtle patrol? The last couple of years there has been a car out late at night to help the turtles cross the road. Talk about dedicated!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
There Terrapins for sure. I found 1 digging a hole in my front yard and another got into my garage and didnt know what to do...Were only a couple hundred yards from Absecon Bay.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have been seeing turtles swim by off the sod banks of Avalon.... pretty often too......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Diamondback Terrapins come up on land to lay eggs. They do this each year starting late May or early June depending on climate. The turtle patrol is from the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor. They try to assist the turtles across and if hit they take to a vet or if killed try to save the eggs for incubation and subsequent release the following year.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I counted 27 sunny on bank this morning

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Terrapins dont sun. they are 100 %marine turtle. The females come ashore lay the eggs and get back in the water. Late summer the eggs hatch and the babies as big as a quarter try their best to avoid the seagulls as they make their way to the water onlt to be eaten by bluefish,fluke ,and bass once they get there.
Bucktail, I beleive you were seeing freshwater species sunning, Probaly painted or mud turtles.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I been seeing A lot of turtles At mores beach which Is on the bay side north of reeds beach.
Are these turtles terrapins also?
Rum Runner..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Had something digging holes in my mulch and last weekend found out what it was. MaMa turtle. Babies hatched and went right for the street! Gathered them up and released them in safe area near tidal creek on street end. Last seen headed to water. Over the 42 years here have done this many times.
Also, rescued big yellow belly turtle by Cedar swamp creek bridge. This answered the question "Why did the turtle cross the road?....Becaused I put her there."

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
A volunteer group put up aa fence about 12" high along the Stone Harbor Boulvevard to keep the turtles from crossing the street. Good idea!

·
Registered
229 Posts
This year I found a dead baby terrapin in April, on 8th and Avalon ave.? It was on the dirt road, before they paved it.First baby I've seen in Avalon in I don't know how long, 5yrs? Then acouple of weeks ago I found another on the way into Avalon... Was thinkin they were late bloomer's, that in the end didn't make it... I burried the one, and a coulpe of days ago I went to dig up my shell, but a darn skunk got it! They Love turtle!!!!!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still havent seen any of the water myself, you guys figure they are about done laying the eggs? I have never seen so many around though, probably a ton of them getting caught in crab pots.

RyanF

1 - 20 of 29 Posts