BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a 2 handed fly rod / spey rod around here? I'm thinking about getting one in the 13' to 15' range in about an 8wt or 9wt to use on the beach this year. I saw a few old posts here on the barn, but there didn't seem to be a lot of info about this. I'm wondering who has one, and if anyone can offer some first hand insight. Also, if anyone has one lying around that you'd be willing to part with for a reasonable amount or trade for some conventional gear, let me know. If anyone would be willing to bring one to one of the SJCFA meetings so that I could try it I'd also appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Does JimDE post on here anymore? He's the man to talk to about the 2-handed stuff. I'd like to try one out too, just to see what all the hub-bub is about. I've seen spey rods in action on rivers, and they look like they'd work very well on the beach or in the back bays. Other than that, I'd stick to a "conventional" short one-hander, like on a boat or rocks or something.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Check out the St.Croix 10'6" one hander. Your a big guy and could handle this well. Two handed rods are a whole nother ball game. I havnt seen Jim DE on the net much lately at all.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Jim pops in every now and again....Just mention a two hander and viola!
Seriously, a one handed 10'+ rod can be a chore to cast all day long...2 handers are great for fly guys with bad shoulders, or simply preferr the spey method of casting.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess its worth looking into the St. Croix, but I really I don't know about a 10'6" one hander. I?d probably love it for the first hour or two, but I even get tired after throwing my 9' 9wt for much longer than that. I think that a 2 hander is going to be more pleasurable on a lazy summer evening.

I don?t know anything about spey casting, but I think that it?s worth learning if it gives me some longer casts from the beach. I didn?t know how to cast a fly rod at all a year and a half ago, so it?s all part of the fun.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Go to the FLY FISHING SHOW next week. There are several types of 2 handed rods. The one to use on the beach is different than the "river rod". I saw a guy cast......with a single short back cast......over 150 ft. The rod is stif and the line heavy. But it goes like a rocket.

They may be showing them, but someone will surely have them there. They are not cheap tho...

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
The 10'6 does not weigh much more than a 9 footer.

Also remember - one of the best fly fisherman in NJ never uses spey rods. AKA - Bob Pop.

He will tell you that you should learn how to cast a one hander well before venturing to a spey.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
How about a 9' Lami and a Bog Don plug ;) Your not an elitest fly fisherman already are you? Or are you ;) The club has created a monster!!!!!!
I think I am at the show when you are. If the table is majorly covered I'll poke around with you.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys have definitely made me into a fly fishing monster, that's for sure HaHaHa :D But I'm not into being elitist unless it means that I get all the enjoyment from catching all the fish. In that case, I?ll be a blissful elitist and you guys are all on your own to practice casting as long as you want.
But the reality is that the stupid fish don?t know that their only allowed to eat my flies. :mad: The funny thing is that despite my fly fishing tendencies, I?m more likely to revert back to being the guy hip described in his surf fishing 101 post; dragging my bucket, cooler, and bait heaver into the sand to enjoy the beach and a beverage. (Maybe that?s why I want a 15? fly rod???) I?m really just interested in doing whatever I can to enjoy the outdoors and catch, and probably release, a few fish. (Actually, I don?t even care that much if I catch anything, but that?s another discussion.)

Getting better at casting my normal fly rod is a good idea, but why not also use a two hander? For me, fly fishing is sort of liberating. Why confine myself to just one style of fly rod now that I?ve seen the light? Besides, there seems to be something lazily alluring to lobbing 150? of line into the surf during a warm sunset.

I?ll definitely check the spey rods out at the show. Maybe hip can start a price war between vendors for me on one.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Ill get you the best price there! LOL

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Watch out, they may start jousting each other with the rods....!! :D

I say take the 2-hander to the casting pond in the back of the show, stand on one side of the room, then cast the entire line to the other wall. That's like 300 ft. Make it look like you know what you're doing

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PJ Thanks for the heads up. That is a real nice price if you ask me, but I'm not sure how well it's stand up to the salt over time. Besides, I'm going to check out the rods at the show before I buy anything.

·
Registered
315 Posts
just a lil advice a 100' cast is definately achiveable with a normal 9 footer once you get your casting skills down. if you need to cast more than 100' buy a boat. most of the fish cought from the surf are in the wash anyway. i just havent seen the point yet where i needed cast further than i already can. just put a shooting head system on your 9 footer after learning how to cast a full line..

Good luck
Rory

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Distance is just one concern for me in thinking about this rod. I don?t really have any luck in the surf with the fly rod yet, but I am fairly successful with spinning gear. As a general pattern, it seems that most of the fish I do catch on my spinning gear are more than 50? or 60' away from me when they hit. So throwing more line can?t hurt, but could do wonders for my confidence. Even so, I will definitely be working on my casting with the 9?er.

Here are my other thoughts: I'm thinking that a two hander will be less tiring after a while, and therefore more enjoyable. I'm also looking to fish the fly rod in the windier beachfront conditions along LBI. So I think/hope that the longer rod will allow me to throw large flies in the wind with a lot less trouble than the 9' rod. I?m also hoping to be able to get over the top of the first wave. It also makes sense to me that it'd make it easier to control my line in the wash of the surf with reach of a longer rod.

Since I?ve never seen one of these rods in use, and don?t know anyone who uses one, I?m really guessing at all of this. That?s why I?m soliciting first hand knowledge and advice from this group. I'm also wonderring if I should be thinking about a 10wt or heavier instead of a 9wt?

[ 01-18-2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Sea Monkey ]

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Sea Monkey, Was watching TV this morning and they had a show on how to Cast a spey rod. It was on the outdoor network and will probably repeat during the day. It was interesting, but didn't look quite as good as a one handed rod. I am sure it has its place and purpose. You should check it out.

As far as distance on the surf. I have tons of confidence from the boat and jetties because it I am always fishing structure or a rip line. When it comes to the surf I have not done that well. Mainly because where I fish down here there are no real bowls or nice cuts. But most of the fish that I have taken on open beach have been caught close in, right outside the beach break. You could count these fish on one hand but get near a jetty, some rocks or pilings and it is a whole different story.
Just remember STRUCTURE, STRUCTURE, STRUCTURE AND BAITFISH, BAITFISH, BAITFISH and you will find fish.

The surf in the lower half of the state was not as hot an area in general. Fly Ty er will verify that. Even down here in Cape May I keep an eye on the surf activity on the beach and it was one of the worst fall seasons in general for bait slingers and pluggers. Before you spend all that money on a new type of fly fishing I would think twice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts