BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rod case becomes a big issue when you travel on airplanes nowadays.
A few airlines like Continental, American or Jet Blue are pretty generous to allow for fishermen to check in a rod case as long as 7' without penalty.
However, some had to pay as much as $250 one way for a shorter than 6' rod case.
Situations will get worse as airline security are getting tighter and airlines are trying to find ways to increase their revenue.

When I visited Korea last week, I got two-piece prototype Black Hole jigging rods. I could put the 38" long rods in a compartment of an airplane.

The 5'1" conventional rod weighs at around 10 oz and the spinning rod weighs at around 11 oz.

the real issue of two-piece rod is how to reinforce the joint section as the rod very short and thin. They reinforced there with special treatment.
I'll find out whether the joint is strong enough with extensive field tests.

Action of 350g two-piece BH jigging rod compared to 350g one piece BH jigging rod

moderate/fast action of 350g two-piece rod

parabolic action of 350g one-piece rod

350g two-piece tip section (left) is substantially thinner than 350g one piece's.

You can use same butt for 250g and 350g.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Interesting !! Should be able to own one butt, and have several rods to accomodate the size fish :D

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting !! Should be able to own one butt, and have several rods to accomodate the size fish :D
My own idea was to use 250g, 350g and 450g with one same butt, but they did 250g and 350g with one same butt.
Anyway, 250g and 350g BH Cape Cod Special jigging rods are as strong as 400g - 500g other brands and can catch any fish under 200 lb.

------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When will they be for sale in the states and what is the price point?
I need some testing before production. I hope we can find some bluefin in NC this Saturday to test the rods.
The rods will be tested for bluefin in NC, for cow on long range boats off Mexico and for grouper, dogtooth tuna and GT in remote areas in Asia.
Drag over 30 lbs will be used for them.

The issue is to get Fuji guides in time. It usually take 2 - 3 months to get them. I expect to introduce them in the US by May if the prototype rods survive extensive testings.

-------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We didn't test the two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rods fully because bluefin in NC has been very slow. ( we couldn't test the rods on last 5 trips to NC).
However, anyone who touches the rods, just love them.
The combo of 350g two-piece BH Cape Cod Special and JM PE6 weighs only 33 oz. :eek:
The rods will be heavily tested for bluefin in NC, big yft and grouper off Mexico as well as for GT/dogtooth tuna in remote areas in Asia until April.
So the rods will be introduced in summer or fall if the test results are great.

testing 450g two-piece BH Cape Cod Special for AJ in NC. we are also testing new Penn S9 spinning reel too.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Developing a rod from zero needs patience, dedication as well as affection.
I feel I am very fortunate and lucky to have this kind of opportunity because I just love it.
After finishing testing of the rods by April, new projects will start.

-----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
233 Posts
Although I did not catch a bluefin on this rod due to a pulled hook I did get to fight one for a few minutes and i think they have a winner as it handled the first long run well with 28# of drag. I am looking forward to a full test in the future

1 - 9 of 9 Posts